John

Default Pressure Treated Wood & DryWall

I live in a split foyer, with a 3'5" high cinder block foundation.

I want to finish the basement bedroom off. It currently
has the cinder block exposed, though it is coated with
Super Thoroseal.

I bought some pressure treated 2x4's to use as
furring strips. While screwing the 2x4's to the wall
with some Tapcon screws I noticed a considerable
amount of liquid being squeezed out of the wood
by the screw heads.

How long should I wait before I tack up a vapor
barrier and screw on the drywall???

I currently have an oscillating fan blowing on the
framed walls. (Its been 48 hours, wood still seem very damp).

The Tapcon screws worked wonderfully, but I'm
wondering how they will do when the wood starts
to dry....

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Abe

I bought some pressure treated 2x4's to use as
furring strips. While screwing the 2x4's to the wall
with some Tapcon screws I noticed a considerable
amount of liquid being squeezed out of the wood
by the screw heads.

How long should I wait before I tack up a vapor
barrier and screw on the drywall???

I currently have an oscillating fan blowing on the
framed walls. (Its been 48 hours, wood still seem very damp).

The Tapcon screws worked wonderfully, but I'm
wondering how they will do when the wood starts
to dry....

-----------------------
I'm not sure about how dry the wood should be before you close up the
wall, but as for the wood drying and screws holding, you don't have
anything to worry about. The wood will shrink slightly as it dries,
making the screws hold into the wood even tighter. I'm sure about
that, because I've dealt with it before.
m Ransley

A split Foyer, sounds worse than a Terminal

Roger

I bought some pressure treated 2x4's to use as
furring strips. While screwing the 2x4's to the wall
with some Tapcon screws I noticed a considerable
amount of liquid being squeezed out of the wood
by the screw heads.

How long should I wait before I tack up a vapor
barrier and screw on the drywall???

I currently have an oscillating fan blowing on the
framed walls. (Its been 48 hours, wood still seem very damp).

The Tapcon screws worked wonderfully, but I'm
wondering how they will do when the wood starts
to dry....

Tapcon screws are available in stainless steel, and you may wish to consider
them if you are not already finished the job. The carbon steel ones can
corrode when in contact with copper based pt wood. The screw turns into a
sacrificial anode in the copper electrolyte solution, eating away at the
shaft of the screw. Try looking a collection of words in google like:
"pressure treated" + tapcon

Art Todesco

I'm not sure that I would use treated wood inside my house. They do put
a chemical to prevent rot, and as this chemical dries out, you are
breathing it in the air. Maybe I'm just paranoid. However, if you are
sensitive to these airborne thing (asthma or allergies) it could be a
problem.

Roger wrote:
[...]

John

"Roger" wrote in message
Tapcon screws are available in stainless steel, and you may wish to
consider them if you are not already finished the job. The carbon steel
ones can corrode when in contact with copper based pt wood. The screw
turns into a sacrificial anode in the copper electrolyte solution, eating
away at the shaft of the screw. Try looking a collection of words in
google like: "pressure treated" + tapcon

The Tapcon screws I bought say on the front of the box
"Approved for Treated Lumber". Though I did buy
regular drywall screws.

-John

Crooked

Art Todesco wrote in message news:h_xpd.146698$HA.107397@attbi_s01...
I'm not sure that I would use treated wood inside my house. They do put
a chemical to prevent rot, and as this chemical dries out, you are
breathing it in the air. Maybe I'm just paranoid. However, if you are
sensitive to these airborne thing (asthma or allergies) it could be a
problem.

You are paranoid. Pressure treated lumber is now treated, at least in
Canada, with ACQ, replaced by CCA which contains arsenic. There are
no health risks invovled with CCA. There are also no health risks
associated with ACQ unless the chemical is still wet on the wood.

Jeff Cochran

How long should I wait before I tack up a vapor
barrier and screw on the drywall???

The wood won't be fully dried for about six months, assuming normal
humidity.

I currently have an oscillating fan blowing on the
framed walls. (Its been 48 hours, wood still seem very damp).

The Tapcon screws worked wonderfully, but I'm
wondering how they will do when the wood starts
to dry....

The Tapcons will do fine, Put up drywall whenever you're ready. You
could have purchased PT lumber with a lower moisture content, but it
likely wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Jeff