Posted to rec.woodworking
habbi

Default orbital jigsaw

What is the idea behind an orbital jigsaw, does it have any advantage over a
normal one?

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"habbi" wrote in message
What is the idea behind an orbital jigsaw, does it have any advantage over
normal one?

Idea is a shallower entry angle makes a finer cut, and if you cut less
material with each stroke, you cut faster. Both are demonstrated as true
each time you use it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"habbi" wrote in message
What is the idea behind an orbital jigsaw, does it have any advantage over
normal one?

Typically the orbital action as adjustable in 4 to 5 increments. The Zero
increment produces the slowest and smoothest cut. The greater the orbital
action the faster and rougher the cut. My Milwaukee set to the most
aggressive orbital action will cut through a 2x4 almost as fast as my circle
saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

On the orbital setting, it cuts much more aggressively. The cut finish sucks
though so it's only for roughing. Use the non orbit setting for a reasonable
finish. If I didn't have the orbit feature on mine, I wouldn't miss it. All
higher end jig saws seen to have it though.

"habbi" wrote in message
What is the idea behind an orbital jigsaw, does it have any advantage over

normal one?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

"habbi" wrote in message
What is the idea behind an orbital jigsaw, does it have any advantage over
normal one?

Yes, smoother cut.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
habbi

I am more confused now. Some are saying better for rough cuts some are
saying finer cuts. I assume a normal jigsaw does not have the orbital action
so am I safe to say that if I am looking for a fine finish cut there is NO
advantage with an orbital saw over a regular jigsaw. Thanks

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
No.

"Jim" wrote in message
t...

"habbi" wrote in message
What is the idea behind an orbital jigsaw, does it have any advantage

over
normal one?

Yes, smoother cut.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

habbi wrote:
I am more confused now. Some are saying better for rough cuts some are
saying finer cuts. I assume a normal jigsaw does not have the orbital action
so am I safe to say that if I am looking for a fine finish cut there is NO
advantage with an orbital saw over a regular jigsaw. Thanks

Habbi,
I think you may be technically right, but practically wrong. I don't
know all there is to know about all the jigsaws that may be available
out there. What I do know is that every one of the better jigsaws I
ever had my hands on had the orbital feature. It kind of goes with the
territory. Along with orbital action comes a lot of other essential
features like counterbalancing and blade guides that really work. It's
usually a package deal. You may be able to find a very good saw
without the orbital feature, but why?

My jigsaw lives with the orbit set to zero most of the time too. But I
wouldn't dream of buying a jigsaw without it. A good jigsaw will last
you many many years. You'll find all sorts of uses for it that you
don't anticipate now. Don't sell yourself short by deciding you don't
need a feature as handy as orbital action.

DonkeyHody
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Adams

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
oups.com...

habbi wrote:
[...]

Love the quote!
The primary effect of orbital action is that the saw cuts much faster. (I'm
talking in wood, I don't cut enough metal to speak to that.) The blade
advances into the cut on the upstroke and backs out on the downstroke. This
makes for an aggressive cut and excellent chip-clearing. Depending on the
blade, the orbital action can also create a rasping effect, giving a very
smooth finish. In particular, the Bosch T101B gives an amazing cut.
Definitely get the orbital action!
Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Bruce Adams wrote:
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain

Love the quote!

Why thanks, Bruce!

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."