Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Raised panel doors: router vs shaper or by hand?

I need to make about 6 raised panel doors for a set of cabinets my wife
made. I am just a hobbyist but I have a few choices.

1. Order them to my specs from an outside company.
2. Use a router. I think I need a faster router though, mine is 1/4"
and fairly slow (craftsman special), as well as a router table.
3. Purchase a shaper. I think this would be safest, but expensive and
I wouldn't use it much.
4. Make them by hand. Takes longer and would not be very oranate ( I
was thinking of raised arch design).

Any advice?

Snoopy.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On 31 Dec 2005 19:45:16 -0800, "Jay Pique"

I need to make about 6 raised panel doors for a set of cabinets my wife
made. I am just a hobbyist but I have a few choices.

1. Order them to my specs from an outside company.
2. Use a router. I think I need a faster router though, mine is 1/4"
and fairly slow (craftsman special), as well as a router table.
3. Purchase a shaper. I think this would be safest, but expensive and
I wouldn't use it much.
4. Make them by hand. Takes longer and would not be very oranate ( I
was thinking of raised arch design).

Any advice?

You can make them on a table saw.

Not with an arch though.

To elaborate, to make a concave edge to the panel on a TS you clamp a
straight edge at an angle to and passing over the blade and then make
a series of passes starting with the blade below the table. By moving
the straight edge forward/back and changing the angle you can get
different profiles. You don't want to do this with your best blade as
it will wear the blade on one side.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Leuf wrote:
On 31 Dec 2005 19:45:16 -0800, "Jay Pique"

I need to make about 6 raised panel doors for a set of cabinets my wife
made.
Any advice?

You can make them on a table saw.

Not with an arch though.

You're right. I overlooked that part.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the help. I think I'll abandon the arches.

I found a website that talks about doing them by hand (
http://www.shavings.net/RAISED_PANELS.HTM ), but I thought the cross
grain might be a problem. Any suggestion for taking on the crossgrain,
other than really sharp tools :-)?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

A perfectly serviceable router table can be built for less than $25.00.
That's if all material is bought new (less router of course). I haven't seen
to many shapers in that price range.

"jo4hn" wrote in message

the price difference between a good router/router
table and a shaper is probably a push.
truth is stranger than beauty,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

"jo4hn" wrote in message

the price difference between a good router/router
table and a shaper is probably a push.
truth is stranger than beauty,
jo4hn

I've seen one built from scrap, clamps, and a couple of sawhorses. Add
in a HF router and voila. If that will suffice for your project, go for
it.

Otherwise, Grizzly has a small shaper for $100 and a more usable 3/4
horse for $265. YMMV.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

"jo4hn" wrote in message

I've seen one built from scrap, clamps, and a couple of sawhorses. Add
in a HF router and voila. If that will suffice for your project, go for
it.

It will suffice for any project.