CNT

Default How to read Raised Panel measurements?

I am having trouble understanding how to read the measurements from varies
brand router bits.

Below is for CMT

http://www.cmtusa.com/store/index1.ihtml?
x_page=store.ihtml&id=CID9581896837&step=2
&parentid=&menuinclude=leftnav_products.ihtml

Below is for Freud:

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworker...Bits/Rsd_Panel
/html/Rsd_Panel_1.html

And there's more, but for the sake to keep this short.

As much I understand raised panel routering, I look for the rail/stile
depth, that's it (for now). You know, it's either 3/8" or 7/16". But when I
look for that in their rail/stile set webpages, I can't locate those depth
measurements. I even sometime try arithmetic using other measurements
provided, IF ANY, then add or subtract, still doesn't give me the groove
depth. Example for CMT rail/stile (891.502.11), the "R" is 25/64", what is
that?

There's "overall diameter", "overall length", "large/small radius", and few
other terminology. Is there a link **with drawings** that can explain what
terminology means and how the measurements go about? Forgive me for not
google it before expressing in here...

Chuck
CNT

Forgive me for not google it before expressing in here...

I did a search on google and couldn't find anything. I tried keywords like
"router bit" chart, list, compare, etc... nothing came up for me?

Chuck
Duane Bozarth

CNT wrote:

[...]

The "R" is radius...I assume w/ that size it would refer to the radius
of a quarter bead on the panel...

Dimensions for the cutters regarding the material are simply the cutting
height--that tells you what thickness of door rail/stile material
they're suitable for. Typical cabinet doors are 3/4" w/ a 1/4" groove
for the panel. This is determined by the grooving cutter.

There's "overall diameter", "overall length", "large/small radius", and few
other terminology. Is there a link **with drawings** that can explain what
terminology means and how the measurements go about? Forgive me for not
google it before expressing in here...

I've not looked at many sites that don't have profile drawings w/
pertinent dimensions...
CNT

OK, however, different brands have different sizes (of course). Example,
rail/stile, Whiteside will have steeper bend (shorter), while some others
have longer bend. Also, for the raised panels, some are wider (and shallow)
or short (and steeper). Yes, speaking for the same thickness, slightly
different slopes.

Or is it me being too picky?

Chuck

Dimensions for the cutters regarding the material are simply the
cutting height--that tells you what thickness of door rail/stile
material they're suitable for. Typical cabinet doors are 3/4" w/ a
1/4" groove for the panel. This is determined by the grooving cutter.

Duane Bozarth

CNT wrote:

OK, however, different brands have different sizes (of course). Example,
rail/stile, Whiteside will have steeper bend (shorter), while some others
have longer bend. Also, for the raised panels, some are wider (and shallow)
or short (and steeper). Yes, speaking for the same thickness, slightly
different slopes.

Or is it me being too picky?

Choose a profile you like and go for it...what earthly difference does
it make what various brands are relative to each other? You buy the
matched set for the cove and cope cuts and that's all you have to worry
over. All the rest is aesthetics and price point. Only other real
consideration on overall major diameter is whether your router base can
handle it or not and, of course you start needing hefty power to spin
those big honkers...