Posted to rec.woodworking
Brooklin

Default Raised panel door advice

I'm looking to make my first raised panel doors.

They'll be 16 by 40 inches or so. Is the only way to do this using
solid stock (to get the raised edges of the panel)?

Any way I can get away with veneer plywood and somehow disguise the
plywood edges?

I guess I could use a 'sunken' panel door with plywood.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson

"Brooklin" wrote in message
I'm looking to make my first raised panel doors.

They'll be 16 by 40 inches or so. Is the only way to do this using
solid stock (to get the raised edges of the panel)?

Any way I can get away with veneer plywood and somehow disguise the
plywood edges?

I guess I could use a 'sunken' panel door with plywood.

Thanks

These folks have what seems to be the best plywood edging system out there.
I have a set and they are waiting on the workbench when I get time to try
them. MLCS and others have similiar edgebanding router bits. Not sure when I
will get around to using them.......but I will report on them when I can.
P.S. They are not cheap, also Lee Valley has them in 1/2" shank.
That is where mine came from.
Good Luck Lyndell

http://www.burgessedge.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Brooklin" wrote in message
I'm looking to make my first raised panel doors.

They'll be 16 by 40 inches or so. Is the only way to do this using
solid stock (to get the raised edges of the panel)?

Any way I can get away with veneer plywood and somehow disguise the
plywood edges?

I guess I could use a 'sunken' panel door with plywood.

Thanks

If you want them raised and you don't want to see the plys, then solid wood
is the best and the easiest way to go. You could surround the plywood with
a frame of solid wood and then raise the solid wood, but that would be a lot
more work than gluing up wood panels.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike hide

"Brooklin" wrote in message
I'm looking to make my first raised panel doors.

They'll be 16 by 40 inches or so. Is the only way to do this using
solid stock (to get the raised edges of the panel)?

Any way I can get away with veneer plywood and somehow disguise the
plywood edges?

I guess I could use a 'sunken' panel door with plywood.

Thanks

Sink a ply panel into the frame and use a bolection molding around the inner
edge ,should look great ......

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:14:20 -0500, "mike hide"
wrote:

"Brooklin" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking to make my first raised panel doors.

They'll be 16 by 40 inches or so. Is the only way to do this using
solid stock (to get the raised edges of the panel)?

Any way I can get away with veneer plywood and somehow disguise the
plywood edges?

I guess I could use a 'sunken' panel door with plywood.

Thanks

Sink a ply panel into the frame and use a bolection molding around the inner
edge ,should look great ......

If you go with solid wood, be sure that the panel floats (no Glue) a
plywood panel on the other hand could be glued in the frame and would
add to the structural integrity. Either way be sure to take care
during glue up to insure things stay flat and "in plane" (you can
check with winding sticks).

Lenny