Jerry

Default Raised panel bits w and w/o undercutter

I need to purchase a raised panel bit for my router table. I would
like to use an undercutter to keep the top of the panel flush with the
rails/stiles.

I notice that you can buy a raised panel bit with or without the
undercutter. You can also use a separate bit to do the undercutting as
a second step.

I'm using an P-C 892 (2 1/4HP) router.

Is it better to use a separate undercutter or just use the bit with the
undercutter wings included given my relatively small router. I
understand it will take multiple passes anyway to get the job done.
Anyone with similar experience can make a recommendation?

Thanks.

toller

Why can't you just flip it over and do the otherside? That is what I do.
(My 12a Bosch can barely do one side; if I tried to cut both sides at the
same time it would just seize.)

JGS

Hi Jerry,
I use a one piece unit. One advantage is it keeps the thickness of the
panels the same. IMHO your router should be powerful enough to do the job,
if you use enough steps.
I set my fence for the final cut and then add several masonite 1/8" sub
fences in front of the main fence, removing one after each pass. Cheers, JG

Jerry wrote:

I need to purchase a raised panel bit for my router table. I would
like to use an undercutter to keep the top of the panel flush with the
rails/stiles.

I notice that you can buy a raised panel bit with or without the
undercutter. You can also use a separate bit to do the undercutting as
a second step.

I'm using an P-C 892 (2 1/4HP) router.

Is it better to use a separate undercutter or just use the bit with the
undercutter wings included given my relatively small router. I
understand it will take multiple passes anyway to get the job done.
Anyone with similar experience can make a recommendation?

Thanks.

Leon

If you want to change the depth of the raised panel cut, the under cutter
may be of no value. If you want to cut the panel shallow so that it is
actually proud of the rails and stiles the under cutter will probably not
cut enough material away to fit in to the slots. Better to cut the raised
panel top and then simply use a straight cut bit on the bottom.

oups.com...