Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to get rid of router lines??

Whenever I use a round-over bit on my router I end up with a small edge
where the roundover bit ends. I have tried to adjust the router height
so that you can't see this and even though I can get it close it's
always there. I am cutting dozens and dozens of pieces and end up
having to sand each of them after using the router.........a major
hassle!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you!

II

Posted to rec.woodworking
eganders

Typically I have had this problem also, but I find the amount of
sanding minimal. You might find roundover bit that would reduce this
to almost a nonexistant problem, but with a good bit, I would think the
amount of effort to clean up this line not to be a concern. I would be
interested in other woodworker's reaction to this this perceived
problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

Perhaps your workpiece is not as flat as you might think it is. IOW both
opposite faces must be in the same plane.

If sanding and scraping ain't your game then try a dish bit, basically a
wide, planing router bit.

J.

wrote:

Whenever I use a round-over bit on my router I end up with a small edge
where the roundover bit ends. I have tried to adjust the router height
so that you can't see this and even though I can get it close it's
always there. I am cutting dozens and dozens of pieces and end up
having to sand each of them after using the router.........a major
hassle!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you!

II

Posted to rec.woodworking

Will a dish bit do the same thing as a roundover bit? Sorry John I am
a complete novice! I build fishing lures and wouldn't mind the sanding
but when you have literally hundreds to work with it becomes very
tiring.

I have tried adjusting the height dave but can't ever seem to get it to
go away "completely". I am using hard maple so the sanding part is
"hard"!

I have tried a flat file to sand them, sandpaper, a drum sander on my
drill press, a belt sander, they all work but the amount of time needed
to correct the problem is considerable and it really wears me down
after doing 30 of them.

II

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vince Heuring

In article .com,
wrote:

Whenever I use a round-over bit on my router I end up with a small edge
where the roundover bit ends. I have tried to adjust the router height
so that you can't see this and even though I can get it close it's
always there. I am cutting dozens and dozens of pieces and end up
having to sand each of them after using the router.........a major
hassle!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you!

I get this all the time. You can't rely on eyeballing the bit height.
Simply retract the bit, bit by bit (!?) until the edge disappears.

Remember, if you're not practicing on scrap, you're practicing on your
project. :-)

--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:32:23 -0800, David wrote:

wrote:

I have tried adjusting the height dave but can't ever seem to get it to
go away "completely". I am using hard maple so the sanding part is
"hard"!

that's why I think your bearing MIGHT be undersize. see my earlier post
for determining that.

I think he was referrring to a "foldover" where the routing ends, not
a lip along the length of the rout? It would deserve some further
explanation of the problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:27:29 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Is your roundover bit is actually that and not a bead bit? If so, your
bearing is too small. You can fix that by using a fence. If the "edge"
is on the side of the board rather than the edge your depth setting is
too deep.

The other possibility is that you are trying to round over *both* edges
to form a half round. If that is the case, you'll get a slightly
asymetrical shape with the "edge" you refer to. That is because when
you do the second edge the bearing is riding on an area that was cut
when you did the first edge - it is inset slightly. The easy cure is to
use a fence. A less easy one is to add a piece of fiberboard or such on
top and use a top bearing bit running on it.

If the problem is along the length of the route, and not the end, as I
had assumed, then this is the best explanation, I think.

Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

I had this problem also. I always got this router edge when I attempted
to round over a corner.

I went to rocklers or maybe it was woodcraft and told them the problem I
was having. It's been a while but what I had been sold before was a
beading bit not a round over bit. When I got a round over bit the edge
went away.

wrote:
Whenever I use a round-over bit on my router I end up with a small edge
where the roundover bit ends. I have tried to adjust the router height
so that you can't see this and even though I can get it close it's
always there. I am cutting dozens and dozens of pieces and end up
having to sand each of them after using the router.........a major
hassle!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you!

II

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

After seeing others' responses I think perhaps I misunderstood your
original question. Sorry. The only other suggestion I might make then
would be that perhaps a slightly thinner workpiece might help. If you
can post a photo or drawing of the problem you'd likely get definitive
answers quickly.

J.

wrote:
Will a dish bit do the same thing as a roundover bit? Sorry John I am
a complete novice! I build fishing lures and wouldn't mind the sanding
but when you have literally hundreds to work with it becomes very
tiring.

I have tried adjusting the height dave but can't ever seem to get it to
go away "completely". I am using hard maple so the sanding part is
"hard"!

I have tried a flat file to sand them, sandpaper, a drum sander on my
drill press, a belt sander, they all work but the amount of time needed
to correct the problem is considerable and it really wears me down
after doing 30 of them.

II

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Whenever I use a round-over bit on my router I end up with a small edge
where the roundover bit ends. I have tried to adjust the router height
so that you can't see this and even though I can get it close it's
always there. I am cutting dozens and dozens of pieces and end up
having to sand each of them after using the router.........a major
hassle!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you!

..3

IF you are talking about the top of the bit at the widest part of the cut,
you need to raise the bit so that it does not cut as deep. Yes the round
over will not be complete but minor sanding corrects that. That sanding is
much easier than having to take out a ridge caused by cutting too deep.

If you are talking about the round over near the bottom at the bearing, get
a new and or better bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If the 'edge' is at the bearing end of the roundover then the bearing
is slightly undersized.

If it is at the other end the depth adjustment is wrong. Or I suppose
the bit might be incorrectly ground.