Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob

Default How to assemble case with 24 3/4 dowel rods?

Hi,

I have one idea of how to approach this potentially tricky assembly,
but thought I'd ask around a bit:

I'm making an open CD rack, not unlike some commercial models, except
I'm using nice stock. The two sides will join to an upper and lower
shelf and stretchers, but... the CDs will be kept on 3/4" dowels. So,
when joining everything together, I'll need to include 24 separate 33"
dowels running from one side to the other.

A nightmare in the making? How might we keep all the dowels in place,
hitting all the holes in the sides, all while gluing up the sides to
the shelves and stretchers?

I'd prefer not to run the dowels through holes in one side.

My idea is to make a "holder" out of masonite, and then cut it away
after assembly. Any other ideas? Am I overlooking something basic?

Thanks!
Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

Rob wrote:
[...]

Cardboard would be easier to cut away. Make 2, one for each end of the
dowels. This will help keep the dowels perpendicular to the first frame
while you wrestle the other ends in at the same time. Based on
assembling a louvered shutter I'd round the 2nd end of the dowels a little.
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"Rob" wrote:

[...]

I like your disposable "alignment tool" idea. Suggest precutting a cut
to each hole in the alignment tool to make it easier to remove. In
fact, you could cut out slightly less than 1/2 the circle, leaving an
alignment hole that is pretty easy to break away from the finished
piece.

Another alternative is just to glue one end at a time. Put the other
end on dry for alignment and clamping purposes, then come back to glue
that end.
Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Do they all need to be glued? Maybe you could just glue top, bottom and
middle and use a slow setting glue to give you time to work. I made a pair
of louvered vents once and did not glue the louvers at all but I had a top
and bottom rail holding everything together.
"Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob

Hi.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

The dowels don't need to be glued at all - I don't care if they rotate
around in the sockets. Only the shelves and stretchers will be glued
into the sides.

But without some alignment tool, I just don't see how one could do the
glue-up, get all the dowels aligned, and then clamp it home. My
concern was that by the time I got all the dowels placed, the glue at
the tops and bottoms would already be dry!

BTW, solid, one-piece, 11" wide mahogany sides with a fair curve front
profile, mahogany shelves and stretchers, to be finished with shellac.
It'll stand about 5'-2".

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eugene Nine

Rob wrote:

Hi.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

The dowels don't need to be glued at all - I don't care if they rotate
around in the sockets. Only the shelves and stretchers will be glued
into the sides.

But without some alignment tool, I just don't see how one could do the
glue-up, get all the dowels aligned, and then clamp it home. My
concern was that by the time I got all the dowels placed, the glue at
the tops and bottoms would already be dry!

BTW, solid, one-piece, 11" wide mahogany sides with a fair curve front
profile, mahogany shelves and stretchers, to be finished with shellac.
It'll stand about 5'-2".

Rob

Make an alignment tool then. Take some scrap or cheap stock and drill it to
match the ends but drill all the way through then rip it in half down the
middle and clamp the halves together on the dowles.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On 30 Dec 2005 11:21:30 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Rob"
quickly quoth:

Hi,

I have one idea of how to approach this potentially tricky assembly,
but thought I'd ask around a bit:

I'm making an open CD rack, not unlike some commercial models, except
I'm using nice stock. The two sides will join to an upper and lower
shelf and stretchers, but... the CDs will be kept on 3/4" dowels. So,
when joining everything together, I'll need to include 24 separate 33"
dowels running from one side to the other.

I should have used 3/4" dowels but tried 1/2" instead. They droop,
even with a 17" width. I recommend using a center support as well
for your 33" width.

A nightmare in the making? How might we keep all the dowels in place,
hitting all the holes in the sides, all while gluing up the sides to
the shelves and stretchers?

I didn't have too much trouble doing it. I doped (yellow glue) the
holes (none went through the outside veneer on either panel) and
stuffed the dowels in one end, doped the other holes and sat the
end on the dowels, aligning them one by one from one end to the other.
It took less than 30 seconds. Chamfer the loose ends and you'll have
less trouble than I did with my 15 dowels in 5 rows.

I'd prefer not to run the dowels through holes in one side.

My idea is to make a "holder" out of masonite, and then cut it away
after assembly. Any other ideas? Am I overlooking something basic?

Or you could leave it in the center as a support, unless you prefer to
use a nice piece of wood there instead.

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob

Hi!

Thanks again for all the replies and ideas, particularly the one on
easing the ends of the dowels. That helped tremendously.

I wound buying a pack of multi-purpose panel foam -- polystyrene. Very
inexpensive stuff. Having used a Kraft paper template for layout of
all the dowels, I simply transfered the hole locations from the paper
to the polystyrene, then drilled out the foam with a 3/4" forstner.
(Yes, little pellets of poly just about everywhere.)

I squared and glued up the top and bottom shelves to one side of the
cabinet and let them dry. Then, I threaded the 24 dowels through the
poly and into the pre-assembled side, moving the poly panel to its best
location. That held all dowels pretty much in place. Then it was just
a matter of gluing up the bottom to the other side and clamping it
loosely, setting all the dowels in place, until the top was glued and
set... then clamped it all home.

After it was dry, I simply broke pieces of the poly away... and cleaned
up the mess. Next time, I'll wait for more humid weather...

On another note... I didn't engineer the piece too well for the span.
Using 3/4" dowels over 33" span didn't hold all those CDs very well,
with each span sagging noticeably in the middle. It looked pretty bad.

To fix that, I took a spare rip of mahogany and planed & chamfered it
down to what I thought would be a minimal thickness and width, then
drilled out 1/2-holes for the front-most dowels. I simply popped the
piece vertically in the middle, setting it on the bottom shelf, and
snapped the 1/2-holes over each of the front dowels. No glue, no
nails, no nuttin'. It now sits there, supporting the dowels nicely in
the center, and looks just like a pre-planned center divider.

Thanks again!
Rob

Brass Rods & Fittings. Wayne G. Dengel Metalworking 20 September 22nd 05 07:19 AM
Cypress dowel source? (or alternative) gregg Woodworking 11 July 22nd 05 08:18 PM
HD foam for laptop case? T i m UK diy 42 April 23rd 04 02:59 PM
Sawdust inside carrying case of new PC 557? Dale Woodworking 29 December 24th 03 12:47 AM
When Is A Half Inch Dowel Not A Half Inch Dowel? Kevin Preston Woodworking 0 July 20th 03 02:42 PM