Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

Default How to assemble case with 24 3/4 dowel rods?

On 30 Dec 2005 11:21:30 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Rob"
quickly quoth:

Hi,

I have one idea of how to approach this potentially tricky assembly,
but thought I'd ask around a bit:

I'm making an open CD rack, not unlike some commercial models, except
I'm using nice stock. The two sides will join to an upper and lower
shelf and stretchers, but... the CDs will be kept on 3/4" dowels. So,
when joining everything together, I'll need to include 24 separate 33"
dowels running from one side to the other.

I should have used 3/4" dowels but tried 1/2" instead. They droop,
even with a 17" width. I recommend using a center support as well
for your 33" width.

A nightmare in the making? How might we keep all the dowels in place,
hitting all the holes in the sides, all while gluing up the sides to
the shelves and stretchers?

I didn't have too much trouble doing it. I doped (yellow glue) the
holes (none went through the outside veneer on either panel) and
stuffed the dowels in one end, doped the other holes and sat the
end on the dowels, aligning them one by one from one end to the other.
It took less than 30 seconds. Chamfer the loose ends and you'll have
less trouble than I did with my 15 dowels in 5 rows.

I'd prefer not to run the dowels through holes in one side.

My idea is to make a "holder" out of masonite, and then cut it away
after assembly. Any other ideas? Am I overlooking something basic?

Or you could leave it in the center as a support, unless you prefer to
use a nice piece of wood there instead.

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development