Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob

Default How to assemble case with 24 3/4 dowel rods?

Hi,

I have one idea of how to approach this potentially tricky assembly,
but thought I'd ask around a bit:

I'm making an open CD rack, not unlike some commercial models, except
I'm using nice stock. The two sides will join to an upper and lower
shelf and stretchers, but... the CDs will be kept on 3/4" dowels. So,
when joining everything together, I'll need to include 24 separate 33"
dowels running from one side to the other.

A nightmare in the making? How might we keep all the dowels in place,
hitting all the holes in the sides, all while gluing up the sides to
the shelves and stretchers?

I'd prefer not to run the dowels through holes in one side.

My idea is to make a "holder" out of masonite, and then cut it away
after assembly. Any other ideas? Am I overlooking something basic?

Thanks!
Rob

Brass Rods & Fittings. Wayne G. Dengel Metalworking 20 September 22nd 05 07:19 AM
Cypress dowel source? (or alternative) gregg Woodworking 11 July 22nd 05 08:18 PM
HD foam for laptop case? T i m UK diy 42 April 23rd 04 02:59 PM
Sawdust inside carrying case of new PC 557? Dale Woodworking 29 December 24th 03 12:47 AM
When Is A Half Inch Dowel Not A Half Inch Dowel? Kevin Preston Woodworking 0 July 20th 03 02:42 PM