Posted to rec.woodworking

Default particle board benchtop, finish

I have a work surface of 1" particle board top. It's fine for my use
as I do electronics and light mechanical work on it. But, dirt and
grease from parts would tend to get on the top and impossible to get
out, which would make my hands and other objects dirty next time.

So I would like to look into painting few coats of polyurethane to
provide a easier to clean surface.

What product do you recommend for this? It would be nice if it have
temporary resistance to engine oil or maybe brake cleaner as well.

I have heard of the duraseal polyurethane (for floors) any experience
with using this on particle board?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the reply,

I did not make the top myself, but it is called "engineered wood".. is
that another word for MDF? It is a rather smooth finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Thanks for the reply,

I did not make the top myself, but it is called "engineered wood".. is
that another word for MDF? It is a rather smooth finish.

Probably. MDF is the same color as cardboard FWIW.

Since there is no point in looking at MDF, particle board or Oriented strand
board, why not just paint it? Not that latex stuff, good old-fasioned
oil-based paint. Not unlike Oil-based poly, it will take a week or more to
approach its final hardness. If it gets beat-up and crappy looking, just
recoat it. White may even make it easier to see what you are working on.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
rickluce

A piece of hard board screwed to the top of the board works well. I
imagine it would be great for electronics. You would not need to finish
it and if it gets damaged from the fire you started working on the
PM78749898 integrated circuit, you could just pull the screws out,
replace the top and keep geeken away(no offense woodworkers are geeks
too) . Particle board really soaks up the finish without much surface
improvement.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 29 Dec 2005 11:17:22 -0800, "rickluce" wrote:

A piece of hard board screwed to the top of the board works well. I
imagine it would be great for electronics. You would not need to finish
it and if it gets damaged from the fire you started working on the
PM78749898 integrated circuit, you could just pull the screws out,
replace the top and keep geeken away(no offense woodworkers are geeks
too) . Particle board really soaks up the finish without much surface
improvement.

yep.... except after changing 1/4" hardboard ( "masonite" to us old timers)
tops on a bench and RAS table, I use double-sided tape to lay it down now... it
holds it flat and is easy to pull up and flip (if double sided HB) or replace..

I like to have a light reflective surface so I spray white semi-gloss enamel on
the HB before putting it over the MDF..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leif Thorvaldson

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a work surface of 1" particle board top. It's fine for my use
as I do electronics and light mechanical work on it. But, dirt and
grease from parts would tend to get on the top and impossible to get
out, which would make my hands and other objects dirty next time.

So I would like to look into painting few coats of polyurethane to
provide a easier to clean surface.

What product do you recommend for this? It would be nice if it have
temporary resistance to engine oil or maybe brake cleaner as well.

I have heard of the duraseal polyurethane (for floors) any experience
with using this on particle board?

Thanks

=====My answer to this problem is to have two workbenches. I have my
"dirty" one in the garage for mechanicing and a sheet of 1/4" ply over my
woodworking bench. If I have something to work on that sorta falls
inbetween, I'll just set up some sawhorses with a piece of 3/4" plywood as a
temporary top. TS top makes a handy workbench and storage area!*G*

Leif

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Brophy

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:57:13 -0500, "Stephen M"
wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

I did not make the top myself, but it is called "engineered wood".. is
that another word for MDF? It is a rather smooth finish.

Probably. MDF is the same color as cardboard FWIW.

Since there is no point in looking at MDF, particle board or Oriented strand
board, why not just paint it? Not that latex stuff, good old-fasioned
oil-based paint. Not unlike Oil-based poly, it will take a week or more to
approach its final hardness. If it gets beat-up and crappy looking, just
recoat it. White may even make it easier to see what you are working on.

-Steve

I have found that Zinzer's white primers oil or water based coat very
well dry fast and are almost like melamine when cured. I will use
this stuff for final coats to outdoor based wood/mdf cabinets also, it
is almost bullet proof and is easy to wash off if it gets smudged on
the white surface. Joe.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Wells

My router table top is MDF. I followed Pat Warner's advice and
"dunked" it in Watco. The MDF sucks up Watco like crazy. Once it
dries, you have a pretty wear resistant surface. The top has been used
for several years with no obvious signs of wear.

I would rather use Watco than paint because it is much easier to make
the top have a smooth surface.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

I would rather use Watco than paint because it is much easier to make
the top have a smooth surface.

You need to get away from that latex stuff.