Posted to rec.woodworking
tony weikert

Default AP400 Dust Collector

I'm considering buying the Delta AP400 Dust Collector. Does anyone have any
experience with this model (both good and bad). I do woodworking in my
spare time in my garage. I would like to add a second stage (the plastic
cover that goes on a metal trashcan) if I buy it. Does it have enough power
to do that and still provide adequate dust collection from a table saw?
Thanks in advance.
Tony

Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E

"tony weikert" wrote in message
k.net...
I'm considering buying the Delta AP400 Dust Collector. Does anyone have
any experience with this model (both good and bad). I do woodworking in
my spare time in my garage. I would like to add a second stage (the
plastic cover that goes on a metal trashcan) if I buy it. Does it have
enough power to do that and still provide adequate dust collection from a
table saw? Thanks in advance.
Tony

Can't speak for the Delta but I recently read a post by someone who added
one to their shop-vac with good results. So, given the comparison of the
two units I'd say that you shouldn't have any trouble. I added one ot my HF
unit and hardly anything gets to the lowr bag except fine particulates.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"C & E" wrote in message

"tony weikert" wrote in message
k.net...
I'm considering buying the Delta AP400 Dust Collector. Does anyone have
any experience with this model (both good and bad). I do woodworking in
my spare time in my garage. I would like to add a second stage (the
plastic cover that goes on a metal trashcan) if I buy it. Does it have
enough power to do that and still provide adequate dust collection from a
table saw? Thanks in advance.
Tony

Can't speak for the Delta but I recently read a post by someone who added
one to their shop-vac with good results. So, given the comparison of the
two units I'd say that you shouldn't have any trouble. I added one ot my
HF unit and hardly anything gets to the lowr bag except fine particulates.

There would be more, but all the fine stuff blows right through the bag...

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"tony weikert" wrote in message
k.net...
I'm considering buying the Delta AP400 Dust Collector. Does anyone have
any experience with this model (both good and bad). I do woodworking in
my spare time in my garage. I would like to add a second stage (the
plastic cover that goes on a metal trashcan) if I buy it. Does it have
enough power to do that and still provide adequate dust collection from a
table saw? Thanks in advance.
Tony

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - In the DC world with DCs of this basic
design you have a blower/motor and a filter bag. Is there really a
difference between one companies DC and another when the bag micron rating
and the CFM are the same? OK - Motor quality could be a factor, fit and
finish and paint color as well. Size of bags maybe. 110 vs 220 can be a
deciding factor for some as well. Noise - do manufacturers give dB ratings?

Anyway - to the original poster - I do not have the AP400. I looked at it
and compared it against
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G8027
and http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378

These three are all about the same price. The Harbor Freight beats the three
in the specs for the price.

I then decided I wanted a bit more on the CFM side and a finer particle
size. This is when I settled on
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G1029Z

At the time they were offering a complementary pre-separator. I have not
hooked it up yet. Without the separator the DC works great. The longest run
I have is to my planer. (up 12', across ceiling 6', down 12', horizontal for
10', switch to flex and run another 15') Given this long run, and the up and
down, I have no problem keeping the chips and dust clear.

BTW - I am a hobbyist and weekend sawdust maker too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tony weikert" wrote in
k.net:

I'm considering buying the Delta AP400 Dust Collector. Does anyone
have any experience with this model (both good and bad). I do
woodworking in my spare time in my garage. I would like to add a
second stage (the plastic cover that goes on a metal trashcan) if I
buy it. Does it have enough power to do that and still provide
adequate dust collection from a table saw? Thanks in advance.
Tony

Tony,
I own the AP400 and have had very good luck with it. I hook it up to my 15"
thickness planer and it takes all the chips that I can give it. I will be
switching to a 1 micron bag soon, so I don't know how that will effect the
performance if any. I have not tried it with the separator yet, but I will
be adding one of those soon also. I hope this helps. BTW, I got mine at
Lowes with a $25.00 rebate for around a net cost of $125.00 or so. Good
Luck!

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
TBone

"No" wrote in message ...
[...]

Sure there is. CFM means nothing without the SP it was measured at and not
all manufacturers measure it at the same level, much like the HP measurement
of motors from different companies. Then there is the quality of the
materials, especially the impeller and blower housing (which also have a
significant impact on the noise level of the unit).

Anyway - to the original poster - I do not have the AP400. I looked at it
and compared it against
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G8027
and http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378

These three are all about the same price. The Harbor Freight beats the

three
in the specs for the price.

This is a perfect example. While the HF unit seems to have a CFM 3 times
that of the Grizzly for the price, they didn't bother to show what SP this
measurement was taken at and I would bet that it was at near zero and
probably without the bags installed either. Pretty much like the cheepo
motor manufacturers listing the HP of their motors at full stall, LOL. The
Grizzly OTOH, was measured at a specific SP and at it's max rating which
indicates a worse case scenario CFM for the Grizzly compared to the absolute
best possible and completely unrealistic rating of the HF unit.

I then decided I wanted a bit more on the CFM side and a finer particle
size. This is when I settled on
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G1029Z

At the time they were offering a complementary pre-separator. I have not
hooked it up yet. Without the separator the DC works great. The longest

run
I have is to my planer. (up 12', across ceiling 6', down 12', horizontal

for
10', switch to flex and run another 15') Given this long run, and the up

and
down, I have no problem keeping the chips and dust clear.

With a SP that high, I doubt that you will have any problems with the
seperator. Just make sure you use a high quality heavy guage can for it or
it may implode on you :-)

BTW - I am a hobbyist and weekend sawdust maker too.

Me too. I just ordered my Grizzly G1023SL table saw yesterday. I am
looking forward to it's arrival. Now I have to move my ass and get the
raised floor in before it shows up.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Brubaker

I then decided I wanted a bit more on the CFM side and a finer particle
size. This is when I settled on
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G1029Z

I am in the market for a dust collector and this one you selected is pretty
impressive for the price.

Question about these collectors, are they messy to clean out?

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"Mark Brubaker" wrote in message
I then decided I wanted a bit more on the CFM side and a finer particle
size. This is when I settled on
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G1029Z

I am in the market for a dust collector and this one you selected is
pretty
impressive for the price.

Question about these collectors, are they messy to clean out?

My only experience is with this particular one. I cant imagine its that
different from any others of similar design. You remove a large band clamp
from the lower bag, drag it off and dump it into the trash. If you wait
until its completely full then it will be harder to handle (weight and
possible overflow). Some can be equipped with a plastic, disposable liner. I
suppose I could do the same with the griz although I have never tried. The
pre-separator is supposed to remove the largest, bulky stuff first. As I
said in an earlier post I do not have one hooked up yet but may do so in the
future.