Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Schultz

Default blade speed for Rockwell 6" jointer?

Bought one used a while ago but I am not sure about the speed the blades are
turning. Is there an Ideal speed? or motor speed and pulley sizes that
someone can help me with?
Right now it is running with a 1750rpm 3/4 horse motor on it, with about a
7" diameter pulley on the motor.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Doug Schultz" wrote in message
Bought one used a while ago but I am not sure about the speed the blades
are turning. Is there an Ideal speed? or motor speed and pulley sizes that
someone can help me with?
Right now it is running with a 1750rpm 3/4 horse motor on it, with about a
7" diameter pulley on the motor.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Doug

You need more info. What size it the pulley on the cutter head. Multiply
the motor rpm times the pulley circumference on the cutter head and divide
by the pulley circumference on the motor. Multiply that number times the
number of knives the cutter head has. That will give you cuts per minute.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 01:03:24 GMT, "Doug Schultz"
wrote:

Bought one used a while ago but I am not sure about the speed the blades are
turning. Is there an Ideal speed? or motor speed and pulley sizes that
someone can help me with?
Right now it is running with a 1750rpm 3/4 horse motor on it, with about a
7" diameter pulley on the motor.

I think what you have is either correct or very close assuming that
the pulley on the spindle is about 2 1/2".
We recently bought an old rockwell/milwaukee 6" joiner that still had
the original motor and stand and I believe it's all original. With
the 1750 motor the pulley sizes are 7" on the motor and 2 1/2" on the
spindle.
I'm sure you can find on the web (or someone here will tell you) what
that equates to as far as spindle speed.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote:

Bought one used a while ago but I am not sure about the speed the blades
are
turning. Is there an Ideal speed? or motor speed and pulley sizes that
someone can help me with?
Right now it is running with a 1750rpm 3/4 horse motor on it, with about a
7" diameter pulley on the motor.

I think what you have is either correct or very close assuming that
the pulley on the spindle is about 2 1/2".
We recently bought an old rockwell/milwaukee 6" joiner that still had
the original motor and stand and I believe it's all original. With
the 1750 motor the pulley sizes are 7" on the motor and 2 1/2" on the
spindle.
I'm sure you can find on the web (or someone here will tell you) what
that equates to as far as spindle speed.

That would be 4900 RPM at the cutter head.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

That would be 4900 RPM at the cutter head.

Looking for 4400 or so. Most common. Don't want to exceed the
recommendations of the manufacturer. Drop over to Delta with your model
number and find out.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Schultz

Thanks George,
thats the info I was looking for.
have heard of some going 5600rpm but wanted to make sure before I go and
rebuild the base with a stronger motor.

Doug

"George" George@least wrote in message

. com...