Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Default Critter Spraygun

I'm going to try spraying some alkyd exterior siding stain ("Milkweed")
with my new Critter Spraygun tomorrow. Does this sound like a bad idea
to anyone? The directions say to start out at 30psi and adjust from
there. Is this very much one of those deals where you've simply got to
fiddle around until you get it right? (I think I know the answer.)

Thanks.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"Jay Pique" wrote:

(I think I know the answer.)

You should never ask a question unless you know the answer, right?
Or is that only in court? G

Yes. Fiddle with it.
A pressure/pot fed spray gun is the easiest, IMHO. You turn the air off
and pull the trigger. You get to see the small stream of fluid you are
going to atomize when you add air to the equation. Shooting away from
you, the fluid stream should land on the floor about 3-4 ft away from
your feet holding the gun at chest-height.

Then when adding air, the stream will get blown apart and should form a
very tight pattern about 6-8" tall fan/shape when holding the gun 12"
away from the target.
The amount of air is adjusted with the regulator, the fan shape with the
air control on the gun. The two air outlets on either side of the fluid
nozzle, in effect, will pinch the paint-cloud into a vertical shape.

Then you overlap the the patterns as you sweep.

Using a clear fluid (water) and spraying it onto a mirror will teach you
quickly what does what.

It also teaches how not to make paint run and how to avoid anemic
coverage.

It is tough to explain, Jay...a bit like trying to describe a spiral
staircase without using your hands.

HTH
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

The critter spraygun blows the air over a nozzle to create a venturi effect
which sucks the material up the tube. Simple and can be effective.

When I have used mine, there is typically an amount of adjustment needed -
either in pressure (you can go higher since the glass jar is not
pressurized); nozzle height (frequently adjusted) and material viscosity.
The critter works better with materials which are thinned.

I prefer to use the pressurized container type of spray gun these days since
I do not have to thin the material as much.

Dave Paine.

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to try spraying some alkyd exterior siding stain ("Milkweed")
with my new Critter Spraygun tomorrow. Does this sound like a bad idea
to anyone? The directions say to start out at 30psi and adjust from
there. Is this very much one of those deals where you've simply got to
fiddle around until you get it right? (I think I know the answer.)

Thanks.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

You didn't say "how big" of an area but a "Critter" is really made
for a fairly small area. I wouldn't plan on painting the side of
your house with a "Critter". A chair or a cabinet is fine, but
anything beyond that is beyond the scope of a "Critter".

Jay Pique wrote:

I'm going to try spraying some alkyd exterior siding stain ("Milkweed")
with my new Critter Spraygun tomorrow. Does this sound like a bad idea
to anyone? The directions say to start out at 30psi and adjust from
there. Is this very much one of those deals where you've simply got to
fiddle around until you get it right? (I think I know the answer.)

Thanks.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Jay Pique wrote:

I'm going to try spraying some alkyd exterior siding stain ("Milkweed")
with my new Critter Spraygun tomorrow. Does this sound like a bad idea
to anyone? The directions say to start out at 30psi and adjust from
there. Is this very much one of those deals where you've simply got to
fiddle around until you get it right? (I think I know the answer.)

Thanks.

JP

LOL...I take it that a 'Critter' is a specific device rather than a more
generic spray gun of lower quality.
Imagine my surprise.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

It's a basic "air brush" that is great for $42.50 .... It will
shoot almost any material and given some projects, will do
it as well as the big guns.

Here is a pictu

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,43034

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
Pat Barber wrote:

LOL...I take it that a 'Critter' is a specific device rather than a more
generic spray gun of lower quality.
Imagine my surprise.

Critter Spray question Scott Woodworking 7 October 11th 05 07:20 AM
critter spray gun Don D. Woodworking 16 April 14th 05 10:49 PM
Critter spray gun Don D. Metalworking 7 April 8th 05 09:36 PM
Laquers & Spraygun G. McCoy Woodturning 7 March 20th 05 06:33 PM
Critter digging HUGE holes in my driveway Mistercmk Home Repair 9 November 20th 03 03:28 AM