Posted to rec.woodworking
rich

Default Lapping? sharpening stones...

Hi, All,

In my 2nd shop, just getting filled out with stuff, I have some oil
stones for plane blades, chisels. They have gotten pretty worn and
some gouges. Is there a way to remove the dips and gouges more
agressively than with sand paper? Like a brick, or cement block???
Then I can follow up with 120 grit for a final flatening. I was
looking at the patio steps....., but with single digit temps, I decided
to see if someone had been here before.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Rich.....

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Hi, All,

In my 2nd shop, just getting filled out with stuff, I have some oil
stones for plane blades, chisels. They have gotten pretty worn and
some gouges. Is there a way to remove the dips and gouges more
agressively than with sand paper? Like a brick, or cement block???
Then I can follow up with 120 grit for a final flatening. I was
looking at the patio steps....., but with single digit temps, I decided
to see if someone had been here before.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Rich.....

I think, you can use abrasive drywall screen, if you can secure it flat. I used it and
Norton A/O after, and it worked but these were old Carborundum and Craftsman
stones made of silicon carbide. You might be luckier if they are Arkansas or A/O.
I learned about it in this ng too...

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Scarfinger

On 17 Dec 2005 18:01:10 -0800, "rich" wrote:

Hi, All,

In my 2nd shop, just getting filled out with stuff, I have some oil
stones for plane blades, chisels. They have gotten pretty worn and
some gouges. Is there a way to remove the dips and gouges more
agressively than with sand paper? Like a brick, or cement block???
Then I can follow up with 120 grit for a final flatening. I was
looking at the patio steps....., but with single digit temps, I decided
to see if someone had been here before.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Rich.....

I have gotten good results with the products at:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...17&cat=1,43072
The 90 grit is very aggressive.

You may also want to check out water stones.
The kit here gets you all you need.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43072,45936

Paul.
Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG

You might need to wait for spring for this one to work.

Build a simple 4 sided box that is open on the top and bottom.
Make it large enough to hold the stones with room to spare.
Attach a rope to the box and tie to the back of a tricycle.
Install stones. Get grandkid, neighbor kid, or other small
operator for the tricycle. Have them drive round and round on the
driveway. If you can find a large warehouse, the weather becomes
less important. You can wet the drive way for more efficient
grinding. Inspect stones about every 10 minutes, it is surprising
how fast this process goes.

You and friends can use lawn chairs to supervise this quality time
with grandkids. Beer is optional. Maybe don't tell grandma
exactly what you are doing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, All,

In my 2nd shop, just getting filled out with stuff, I have
some oil
stones for plane blades, chisels. They have gotten pretty worn
and
some gouges. Is there a way to remove the dips and gouges more
agressively than with sand paper? Like a brick, or cement
block???
Then I can follow up with 120 grit for a final flatening. I was
looking at the patio steps....., but with single digit temps, I
decided
to see if someone had been here before.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Rich.....

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

LOL exactly, because it's hard work otherwise!

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

"rich"
In my 2nd shop, just getting filled out with stuff, I have some oil
stones for plane blades, chisels. They have gotten pretty worn and
some gouges. Is there a way to remove the dips and gouges more
agressively than with sand paper? Like a brick, or cement block???
Then I can follow up with 120 grit for a final flatening. I was
looking at the patio steps....., but with single digit temps, I decided
to see if someone had been here before.

These are what I use.
http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/duosharp.htm

They work great and fast.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

These are what I use.
http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/duosharp.htm

They work great and fast.
Dave

What type of stones, what are they made of? Silicon carbide is the toughest material
of all (and worst, slowest sharpening as a stone) beyond aluminum oxide, Arkansas
99.9% silica, or any waterstone.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

"AAvK" writes:

These are what I use.
http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/duosharp.htm

They work great and fast.
Dave

What type of stones, what are they made of?

Carbon.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Posted to rec.woodworking
rich

Thanks for the ideas! I like the tricycle and box best, but I ordered
the stuff from Leevalley, the glass and powder. I think that 90 grit
may do the trick.

Regards,
Rich.....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

"DanG" writes:

You might need to wait for spring for this one to work.

Build a simple 4 sided box that is open on the top and bottom.

I seem to recall a similar tip in an old FWW magazine. The author
used a special knot that typesetters use, instead of building a box.
And they used the concrete floor in the basement.

But I like Dan's verison better. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

You could try using the sandpaper used ona drum floor sander. If you have a
hardware store near by or a rental place that has a floor sander they will
sell special sheets of truely obscene grit heavy-weight paper. The middle
grit is probably something like 60-grit paper. I think one "sheet" is a
buck and change.

-Steve