Default Flattening Shapton stones: Shapton DRLP vs. DMT Diamond Plates

Hi,

I'm want to buy Shapton professional stones and am thinking about how
to keep them flat. I watched a video clip on their website

http://www.shaptonstones.com/stones/.../dmdmovie.html

The video shows Harrelson use the Shapton DRLP to keep the stones flat
and also to reference the blade bevel (That's how he words it. Really I
think he means he is giving the blade it's general shape and making it
very flat to speed sharpening.) The DRLP looks great but I do not think
I can afford it now. I am not keen on using sandpaper and glass to keep
the stones flat. It seems wasteful and takes up more space. I do not
want to use the Shapton compact lapping system because keeping the
powders in stock seems like a pain.

For keeping stones flat, how do the DMT duosharp plates compare to the
DRLP? Which grade duosharp matches the DRLP? Which grade DMT stones do
you like for flattening stones?

I have read old posts here that say using a DMT plate to keep
waterstones flat is a bad idea because the way the diamonds are
attached to the substrate is destroyed by the waterstone. However the
Shapton stones are ceramic so maybe that will make a difference. How
durable is the DRLP when used with stones?

How durable is the DRLP when used with steel? I have read old posts
here (some by Steve Knight) that say diamonds and steel are a very bad
match and the diamond stones will wear out quickly when used with
steel. Does this apply to the DRLP?

How much flatter will the DRLP keep the stones and will it really
affect sharpening time or quality? The DRLP is flat to 0.0004" on the
stone side and the DMT diamond stones are flat within 0.003" or
according to Lee Valley 0.005".

The shapton professional stones are 8-1/4" x 2-3/4". Duosharps plates
are 10" x 4". The Shapton site does not say how large the surface is on
the DRLP.

The DRLP costs $489 and a Duosharp plate costs $119.

Part of the problem is during my phone conversation with Harrelson he
hyped the DRLP so much he made me think I cannot do without it. Maybe
it is that much better but maybe he is stalling a sale by trying to
sell me such an expensive system.

Any info or experiences appreciated.

Thanks!

Peter

David

Don't believe the hype about "flatness". I've had 5 DMT 6" "stones".
They weren't all even close to specs on flatness. A couple were within
specs. I've had one blue stone wear out and it was replaced by DMT. It
took forever, but they did make it good.

I started to flatten an oilstone with my coarse DMT, but stopped when I
found it was ruining the DMT on the ends where the oilstone was making
first contact with the DMT. I know they recommend using them for that,
but I won't use mine to flatten other stones.

Dave

wrote:

[...]

arw01

I use a diasharp to flatten my shaptons. My diasharp is about the same
size, but with a starrett straight edge a .001 feeler will not pass and
there is no light straight into the sun. So it's flat.

I put pencil lines on my shapton, wet the diasharp, scrub around in
circles, back and forth etc. Wet em again, watch for the lines to
mostly disappear. Then mark em again, and flatten till they all go
away. It's flat again till I really grind away an iron.

Oops. Missed the one. The DRLP is flat within 0.00014"

Hi Mike,

How quickly do you go through the lapping powder?

Thanks
Peter

Mike Wenzloff

Hi Peter,

I still have the original containers. I would say I'm half way through the
powder for the 2000 stone and have most of the container for the 8000.

I'm not anal about flattening the stones. I use the entire surfaces in the
sharpening process. They stay pretty flat. It doesn't take much powder. The
2000 stone I probably flatten every dozen or so sessions. The 8000 less
often.

Mike

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Mike,

How quickly do you go through the lapping powder?

Thanks
Peter

Hi Steve,

What is the stuff that you bought called? Is it the same stuff you can
buy for rock tumblers?

Thanks,
Peter

Daniel H

Steve,

Does the Shapton lapping plate ever wear out or go unflat as a result
of the lapping powder rubbing on the plate?

- Daniel

CW wrote:
It would have to.

"Daniel H" wrote in message
ups.com...
Steve,

Does the Shapton lapping plate ever wear out or go unflat as a

result
of the lapping powder rubbing on the plate?

- Daniel

You're right, I think, if you use it about as much as Steve does. But
then if I remember right, Steve goes through whole sets of stones and
likes the Shaptons because they take the longest to wear out.

It takes me an awful long time to even get a Shapton to the point where
it needs flattening. Had this set over a year and had to flatten 'em
three times. The 8000 I haven't flattened at all. I haven't even gone
through half the powder. The lapping plate still shows flat on every
straightedge I check it with. Haven't run a dial indicator over it.
Suppose I ought to try that. :-)

But for me, while I guess that plate WILL go out of flat sometime, I
think I got a few years left before it happens. Then we'll see what
fancy toys are out there to replace it by then.

Shapton Stones - Pricing $$$$$ Jay Pique Woodworking 11 February 11th 05 04:48 PM
Shapton Water Stones J Woodworking 15 December 16th 04 06:11 PM
Shapton Ceramic Sharpening stones Darren Woodworking 0 December 4th 04 06:38 PM
flattening Shapton stones - any alternatives to the Shapton plates? Daniel Woodworking 7 October 4th 04 06:24 PM