CW wrote:
It would have to.

"Daniel H" wrote in message
ups.com...
Steve,

Does the Shapton lapping plate ever wear out or go unflat as a

result
of the lapping powder rubbing on the plate?

- Daniel

You're right, I think, if you use it about as much as Steve does. But
then if I remember right, Steve goes through whole sets of stones and
likes the Shaptons because they take the longest to wear out.

It takes me an awful long time to even get a Shapton to the point where
it needs flattening. Had this set over a year and had to flatten 'em
three times. The 8000 I haven't flattened at all. I haven't even gone
through half the powder. The lapping plate still shows flat on every
straightedge I check it with. Haven't run a dial indicator over it.
Suppose I ought to try that. :-)

But for me, while I guess that plate WILL go out of flat sometime, I
think I got a few years left before it happens. Then we'll see what
fancy toys are out there to replace it by then.