Daniel

Default flattening Shapton stones - any alternatives to the Shapton plates?

Hello,

I realize the Shapton sharpening stones last/stay flat a gazillion
times longer than regular waterstones. So they must be really
resistant to wear, right?

I'm wondering if people have successfully used sandpaper on glass, or
used something like these ceramic plates:
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=THW
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...oductID=103226
to flatten a shapton stone successfully. I'm sure the two Shapton
lapping plates are very good, but they are also expensive. Do methods
that flatten softer stones also work on a Shapton stone?

(Aside - my LV 60M60.01 trashes any sandpaper I flatten it on, and the
grit removed does nasty things to my plate glass... anyone have good
suggestions on how to flatten that brick?)

Thank you!

- Daniel

AAvK

I have an old Carborundum SC dual stone I'd like to flatten, won't spend
that much for a ceramic plate, I know the stone will ruin any file too.

Alex

Dave W

About the cheapest way is to get a piece of glass, tape it to your table saw
or other flat surface, apply coarse valve grinding grit (available in any
auto parts store) and have at it. Virtually all glass made now is float
glass, and is very flat. I know it is none of my business but why not get a
new India combination stone; you will find that it cuts better than the
carburundum. Additionally, you will have one beater stone for knives and
gouges and a flat stone for chisels and plane irons.
"AAvK" wrote in message

I have an old Carborundum SC dual stone I'd like to flatten, won't spend
that much for a ceramic plate, I know the stone will ruin any file too.

Alex

AAvK

About the cheapest way is to get a piece of glass, tape it to your table saw
or other flat surface, apply coarse valve grinding grit (available in any
auto parts store) and have at it. Virtually all glass made now is float
glass, and is very flat. I know it is none of my business but why not get a
new India combination stone; you will find that it cuts better than the
carburundum. Additionally, you will have one beater stone for knives and
gouges and a flat stone for chisels and plane irons.

Currently I am a learner, so I am fettling used tools I have bought doing the scary
sharp method for sharpening and flattening plane soles. To me SS is awesome
because the area on which to work is much larger than on stones, and I'm not carving,
no carving tools. Everything I've done has gone over 220 paper, so next is 600 then
1200 for chisels. I think the only way to use stones is buy an old General brand
honing guides not made these days, it stays off the stone because it is really large. My
guide is that common copy of another famous one, Eclipse, from Rockler but
available everywhere and made somewhere in Asia, these are heavy and made well,
and work really well!

Alex

Daniel

Would a DMT monocrystalline stone (10in duosharp coarse?) last long
flattening a Shapton stone? (I realize the DRLP is itself a
diamond-bonded stone, but there still may be something special that
Shapton does to make it suitable for its stones.)

Thanks for your comments, Steve.

Steve Knight wrote:
On 1 Oct 2004 09:31:18 -0700, (Daniel) wrote:
I realize the Shapton sharpening stones last/stay flat a gazillion
times longer than regular waterstones. So they must be really
resistant to wear, right?

the problem is they wear everything else out pretty fast. When I first got them
I used drywall screen. I would get maybe at most two flattening out of a sheet.
if you can get a flat metal plate you can then just use the grit to do it. that
would be a cheap way.

Steve Knight

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:31:24 -0400, Daniel wrote:

Would a DMT monocrystalline stone (10in duosharp coarse?) last long
flattening a Shapton stone? (I realize the DRLP is itself a
diamond-bonded stone, but there still may be something special that
Shapton does to make it suitable for its stones.)

I used one for a bit. though I used the extra course stone. but it was slower
then the lapping plate. but it worked fine with no problems.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes