Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Default Lapping? sharpening stones...

You could try using the sandpaper used ona drum floor sander. If you have a
hardware store near by or a rental place that has a floor sander they will
sell special sheets of truely obscene grit heavy-weight paper. The middle
grit is probably something like 60-grit paper. I think one "sheet" is a
buck and change.

-Steve
"rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, All,

In my 2nd shop, just getting filled out with stuff, I have some oil
stones for plane blades, chisels. They have gotten pretty worn and
some gouges. Is there a way to remove the dips and gouges more
agressively than with sand paper? Like a brick, or cement block???
Then I can follow up with 120 grit for a final flatening. I was
looking at the patio steps....., but with single digit temps, I decided
to see if someone had been here before.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Rich.....