Posted to rec.woodworking
Spike9458

Default Splitting Granite

Hi All,

Not sure which forum to post this on ... but I have an outcropping of
ledge in my yard that I would like to reduce in size. I'm told there is a
fluid that can be used, other than water, to pour into drilled holes and let
mother nature take over during the winter months to freeze it, and
ultimately break/split/crack the ledge that is too close to my barn to
blast. Does anybody know of what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance,

--Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Spike9458 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm told there is a
fluid that can be used, other than water, to pour into drilled holes and let
mother nature take over during the winter months to freeze it, and
ultimately break/split/crack the ledge that is too close to my barn to
blast.

yes, it's called nitroglycerin.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
noonenparticular

"Spike9458" wrote in message
Hi All,

Not sure which forum to post this on ... but I have an outcropping of
ledge in my yard that I would like to reduce in size. I'm told there is a
fluid that can be used, other than water, to pour into drilled holes and
let mother nature take over during the winter months to freeze it, and
ultimately break/split/crack the ledge that is too close to my barn to
blast. Does anybody know of what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance,

--Jim

Jim,

I googled for an old post regarding an expansive agent that you pour into
holes that you drill. Couldn't find the post, but I did find the company
that makes it.

Try this.
http://www.archerusa.com/product_dexpan_en1.html

Then, scrolled further down the article and realized it wasn't an old usenet
post, but rather a Fine Homebuilding article, which is referenced in the
link.

Happy cracking....

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Spike9458 wrote:
Hi All,

Not sure which forum to post this on ... but I have an outcropping of
ledge in my yard that I would like to reduce in size. I'm told there is a
fluid that can be used, other than water, to pour into drilled holes and let
mother nature take over during the winter months to freeze it, and
ultimately break/split/crack the ledge that is too close to my barn to
blast. Does anybody know of what I'm talking about?

Water has been used in quarries almost forever.

Why would you use anything else?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Spike9458

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...
Spike9458 wrote:
Hi All,

Not sure which forum to post this on ... but I have an outcropping of
ledge in my yard that I would like to reduce in size. I'm told there is a
fluid that can be used, other than water, to pour into drilled holes and
let mother nature take over during the winter months to freeze it, and
ultimately break/split/crack the ledge that is too close to my barn to
blast. Does anybody know of what I'm talking about?

Water has been used in quarries almost forever.

Why would you use anything else?

Lew

Time/Season

Posted to rec.woodworking
Spike9458

Thanks, I think that's what I was looking for! The price there on the
website is rather elusive though.

--Jim

"noonenparticular" wrote in message

"Spike9458" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Todd Fatheree

"Spike9458" wrote in message
Hi All,

Not sure which forum to post this on ... but I have an outcropping of
ledge in my yard that I would like to reduce in size. I'm told there is a
fluid that can be used, other than water, to pour into drilled holes and

let
mother nature take over during the winter months to freeze it, and
ultimately break/split/crack the ledge that is too close to my barn to
blast. Does anybody know of what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance,

--Jim

As long as you're already drilling the holes, why not get a set of wedges
and feathers and just split the face by hand? I found an example of the
wedges here (http://www.miconproducts.com/wedges.html). I saw this done on
This Old House once upon a time. When this was done in the old days, the
hard part was drilling the hole. When they did it on TOH, the pro used a
pneumatic drill with a special bit that had a hole in it that compressed air
blew into. Apparently, it did a better job than just a regular stone drill.
Could be more fun than waiting for a liquid to maybe or maybe not split it
for you.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:41:27 -0800, David wrote:

Spike9458 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm told there is a
fluid that can be used, other than water, to pour into drilled holes and let
mother nature take over during the winter months to freeze it, and
ultimately break/split/crack the ledge that is too close to my barn to
blast.

yes, it's called nitroglycerin.

Dave

Straw colored, slightly oily and downright cranky when jostled. Good
idea.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

Todd Fatheree wrote:
"Spike9458" wrote in message

[...]

Couldn't find a price to compare there, but Lee Valley also carries them
in one size.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...180,41007&ap=1
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...

Water has been used in quarries almost forever.

Why would you use anything else?

He may be in California and is looking for something more friendly to the
environment. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message
Todd Fatheree wrote:
"Spike9458" wrote in message

[...]

This is a woodworking forum. Drill, drive dry wood, wet and wait.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in
:

When they
did it on TOH, the pro used a pneumatic drill with a special bit that
had a hole in it that compressed air blew into.

Note that this is an excellent way to give yourself a bad case of
permanent lung damage. If you use such a drill, be sure to wear
suitable protective gear.

Serious professional drills pump water down the bore, not compressed
air, an innovation the mining industry adopted after killing off the
first generation of pneumatic drill users.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:37:46 -0500, "Spike9458"
wrote:

I'm told there is a
fluid that can be used, other than water, to pour into drilled holes and let
mother nature take over during the winter months to freeze it,

Water, but use wooden wedges too.

If you use plain water, then the force is symmetrical and the split can
go anywhere. If you take a strong (high crush strength, like elm or
oak) timber that's well-seasoned, then make it _bone_dry_ by leaving it
on the stove for a day or two, then you do two things. Firstly you make
a more powerful force, secondly you make one you can direct. Pack the
plugs into the holes so that there's a gap on the side towards adjacent
holes. Do it right and you get a neat zipper between the holes. The
"wedges" should also be near-parallel and well-fitting in the holes,
except for a flat planed on opposing sides. I used 24mm, because it's
the biggest long drill I had without getting an expensive core bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Todd Fatheree

"John McCoy" wrote in message
0...
"Todd Fatheree" wrote in
:

When they
did it on TOH, the pro used a pneumatic drill with a special bit that
had a hole in it that compressed air blew into.

Note that this is an excellent way to give yourself a bad case of
permanent lung damage. If you use such a drill, be sure to wear
suitable protective gear.

Serious professional drills pump water down the bore, not compressed
air, an innovation the mining industry adopted after killing off the
first generation of pneumatic drill users.

John

Well, I'm not sure this is a serious professional type of job. And somehow,
I doubt a one-time use is likely to cause "permanent lung damage". And I'm
pretty sure this granite outcropping is outdoors, so I think my anxiety
level would be fairly low. If I were doing it, I'd probably still wear a
mask, but I don't think I'd inflate the risk to the level of someone
spending 8 - 10 hours a day in a hole.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobK207

http://demolitiontechnologies.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in
:

Well, I'm not sure this is a serious professional type of job. And
somehow, I doubt a one-time use is likely to cause "permanent lung
damage".

Probably not, but you might want to google "acute silicosis" before
getting too confident. Granitic rocks are the worst for this.

If I were doing it, I'd
probably still wear a mask

Wearing a mask would be very wise. Dumping water down the hole
periodically is also a good idea (besides keeping down the dust,
it also cools the bit & helps clear the chips out of the hole).

John