Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

Default Tool Gloat: My new Old Lathe

I'll soon have a Craftsman 12' wood lathe For Sale as I just got a
sweet deal ($200) on and older Rockwell/Delta lathe (pics posted in
ABPW) Seems the Industrial Arts programs have been phased out over the
last several years so they are selling off the tools. This was the
last machine left.
Anyone else have one like this ? Thoughts or comments ?

Lenny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:45:31 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Buddy Matlosz" quickly quoth:

"Lenny" wrote in message
.. .
I'll soon have a Craftsman 12' wood lathe For Sale as I just got a
sweet deal ($200) on and older Rockwell/Delta lathe (pics posted in
ABPW) Seems the Industrial Arts programs have been phased out over the
last several years so they are selling off the tools. This was the
last machine left.
Anyone else have one like this ? Thoughts or comments ?

Lenny

Yes. You suck.

Congrats to Lenny on the upgrade to an old and better, non-Crapsman
machine!

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hall

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:39:27 -0500, Lenny
wrote:

I'll soon have a Craftsman 12' wood lathe For Sale as I just got a
sweet deal ($200) on and older Rockwell/Delta lathe (pics posted in
ABPW) Seems the Industrial Arts programs have been phased out over the
last several years so they are selling off the tools. This was the
last machine left.
Anyone else have one like this ? Thoughts or comments ?

Lenny

Someone has to say it..... a 12 foot lathe from Craftsman? I could
turn new columns for some southern mansion if I could only get the 12
foot log between those centers.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

Larry,
Thanks!. My wife and I just got a huge chuckle out of your Tim Allen
quote in your signature.
Helped ease some of the pain of finding out my prized new accusition
has a 3 phase motor. Oh well.
Lenny
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:05:39 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:45:31 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Buddy Matlosz" quickly quoth:

"Lenny" wrote in message
. ..
I'll soon have a Craftsman 12' wood lathe For Sale as I just got a
sweet deal ($200) on and older Rockwell/Delta lathe (pics posted in
ABPW) Seems the Industrial Arts programs have been phased out over the
last several years so they are selling off the tools. This was the
last machine left.
Anyone else have one like this ? Thoughts or comments ?

Lenny

Yes. You suck.

Congrats to Lenny on the upgrade to an old and better, non-Crapsman
machine!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

LOL , I can't tyep. =0 )
Actually, I once turned two 10 foot porch columns (In an attempt to
survive another cold Maine winter as a self-employed carpenter). Had
to match existing columns, which of course were not available to
purchase anywhere. My Dad had an old lathe that had been his Dad's. It
was very similar to the Conover (model ???) Consisting of some cast
Iron legs into which you fit some pretty sizable timbers to form the
bed. We replaced the 5 foot bed with some 12 footers, laminated some
8/4 Pine x 10 feet long for the turning stock, and chucked the shaft
of the motor to a 1/2 inch HD VS electric drill (as initial
experimenting proved the existing motor turned WAY TOO FAST for that
size turning). With my Dad keeping a light finger on the drill trigger
and me standing between our makeshift "cage" (2- 2x4's jambed to the
barn ceiling joists... like that was going to stop anything) I turned
those two columns for a little over $300.
This Thanksgiving I'll give Thanks that I'm no longer self- employed!
LOL
Lenny

wrote:

I'll soon have a Craftsman 12' wood lathe For Sale as I just got a
sweet deal ($200) on and older Rockwell/Delta lathe (pics posted in
ABPW) Seems the Industrial Arts programs have been phased out over the
last several years so they are selling off the tools. This was the
last machine left.
Anyone else have one like this ? Thoughts or comments ?

Lenny

Someone has to say it..... a 12 foot lathe from Craftsman? I could
turn new columns for some southern mansion if I could only get the 12
foot log between those centers.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Lenny" wrote in message
[...]

Helped a woodworker near me set up and turn columns on the lathe you bought,
countershafted to around 50 rpm. Tailstock was removed from the iron bed ,
located at the proper length down a set of 2x6 ways. Most of the work was
done with planes, as the columns were coopered, and close to final shape.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:41:05 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Lenny quickly quoth:

Larry,
Thanks!. My wife and I just got a huge chuckle out of your Tim Allen
quote in your signature.

I was in tears the first time I saw that. It's SO TRUE!
Now try this new sig...

Helped ease some of the pain of finding out my prized new accusition
has a 3 phase motor. Oh well.

So find an old 3-phase motor locally for $20 and use it as a rotary
phase converter (RPC), or buy a static (SPC) from Griz for $169 , or
buy a new Chiwanese motor from Harbor Fright for $59 or less; your
choice.

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:41:05 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Lenny quickly quoth:

Helped ease some of the pain of finding out my prized new accusition
has a 3 phase motor. Oh well.

Oops, I forgot the How-To links if you go that route:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html

http://home.att.net/%7Ewaterfront-wo...econverter.htm

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

Larry, Thanks for the suggestions and links.
Much appreciated.
Lenny
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:59:56 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:41:05 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Lenny quickly quoth:

Helped ease some of the pain of finding out my prized new accusition
has a 3 phase motor. Oh well.

Oops, I forgot the How-To links if you go that route:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html

http://home.att.net/%7Ewaterfront-wo...econverter.htm

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:59:56 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Larry Jaques quickly quoth:

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:41:05 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Lenny quickly quoth:

Helped ease some of the pain of finding out my prized new accusition
has a 3 phase motor. Oh well.

Oops, I forgot the How-To links if you go that route:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html

http://home.att.net/%7Ewaterfront-wo...econverter.htm

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

P.S: PLEASE STOP TOP-POSTING, DAMNIT!

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

No problemo, LarryBarry! Have a yummy Turkekanus Domesticus Day.

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: PLEASE STOP TOP-POSTING, DAMNIT!

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05