Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Default Some stuff is just worth the price...

Barry,

Yep, it's good stuff but a bit pricey as you noted. WD40 probably would
have worked as well for what you needed right then - water displacement,
which it does very well. You noted that you covered it with a plastic sheet
supposedly to keep any more water from dripping on it. Plastic will trap
condensation since it's not a breathable fabric and cause rust - so it's not
a good idea to cover cast iron tools with plastic sheets for very long.

Glad to hear the tools survived - how about the other minor things - like
the house......;-)

Bob S.

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
About a week ago, my dishwasher overflowed. The water sought a pipe
hole, which just happened to be right over the DJ-20 in my basement
shop. As soon as I realized that the jointer was soaked, I
disconnected the power, toweled it off, and fogged it with an aerosol
water displacer / lube called Boeshield I recently purchased. I
covered the jointer with plastic and went back to cleaning up the
upstairs mess.

The Boesheild dried and left a waxy grease behind. This coating was
easily removed with a spritz of fresh product and some old t-shirts.
Today, I wiped the machine down to prepare to use it again, and there
isn't a speck of rust ANYWHERE! Boesheild totally repelled the water.

This stuff isn't cheap, but I'm sold... I'm still going to use
paste wax for pre-use wipes, but I'm keeping this stuff around for
emergencies and long-term protection. It seems like it would be
terrific for lesser used hand tools.

-- DISCLAIMER -- I don't sell Boeshield, I don't own stock in the
manufacturer, and I've never gotten it for free. In fact, I've never
even had a coupon for a discount. I don't really care if you buy it.
G -- /DISCLAIMER --

I just wanted to share my experience with others who may be too cheap
(like I was for a long time) to pull the trigger on a can of it.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

WD-40 is a water displacer. It was not designed to prevent rust.

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:59:06 GMT, "BobS" wrote:

Barry,

Yep, it's good stuff but a bit pricey as you noted. WD40 probably would
have worked as well for what you needed right then - water displacement,
which it does very well.

My experience with WD-40 is that little protection is left behind.
I've seen bicycle chains rust two days after WD-40 was applied.

The plastic wasn't airtight, it was only over the surfaces.

Barry