JC

Default Dust Collecting: Filter or Not?

Howdy all,

I am in the process of setting up a new shop and after reading about
all the bad things about shop dust and your health I decided I better
get a good dust collector. Every dust collector I see has a filter of
some sort that filters all the harmful (and sometimes very poorly) dust
while a bin collects the larger wood chips. Rather than worrying if
harmful dust is being blown back in my workshop and if the filter is
actually doing its job, why not just run the exhaust outside. If you
have an open window or some other way fresh air can get into your shop,
this shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have a similar setup with
their dust collector? Every setup I've seen online seems to use the
filter approach and I would image it would be easier than to monkey
with cleaning the fitler as well. Any thoughts?

-JC

LP

On 15 Nov 2005 20:53:28 -0800, "JC" wrote:

[...]

If you live in the tropics, go for it. If you live in Michigan where
the December and January temps can reach thirty below zero, and where
natural gas, electricity, propane, kerosene and wood costs have
ballooned beyond all imagining, then you dont want to be pumping any
of your expensive heat outside.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob V

Im actually thinking about doing that - I live in NC and the weather here is
nice enought and my DC is located onthe outside wall of my shop.

Here is a question I have....does blowing all that air outside create
anytype of negative air in the shop?
What could happen in that situation?

"JC" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Rob V wrote:
Im actually thinking about doing that - I live in NC and the weather here is
nice enought and my DC is located onthe outside wall of my shop.

Here is a question I have....does blowing all that air outside create
anytype of negative air in the shop?
What could happen in that situation?

If you have a fuel burning appliance (gas water ehater, dryer,
furnace, etc) sharing space with the shop it is
possible to create a backdraft in it's flue leading to combustion gas
coming iside the shop rather than out the chimney.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

C & M

Most just go with a smaller micron sized bag - .5 to 1.0 - to be more
efficient. I sequestered mine in the garage and plumbed the piping thru the
wall. I plan to encase it and open some panels back into the shop because
of the heat saving issue. I will cover the openings with furnace filters
for additional filtration. Mostly, I have this arrangement due to a lack of
space in my small space.