TheKeith

Default 13" planer - delta 22-580 or dewalt DW735??

I'm looking for a new planer and have basically narrowed my choices down
to these two. The dewalt has 3 blades and looks a lot heavier duty; the
delta has two blades but two speeds also and is $115 cheaper (if
purchased with the necessary dust collector attachment). Both planer
rate very well, so i just can't make up my mind as to whether the dewalt
is worth the extra $$ (I'll gladly spend it if the difference is
substantial). Help would be appreciated--thanks.
Tattooed and Dusty

Keith,
I bought the DW735 to replace an older Delta planer, and couldn't be
happier. Comparred to my old one the finish is much better, even as the
blades wear, the maintenance is much easier, and the power seems to be
plenty sufficient. I have used it enough to be on the second side of
the blades that came with it, so maybe not a ton, but some.

I haven't looked back on that purchase even once.

Andrew

Doug Miller

In article . com, "Tattooed and Dusty" wrote:
Keith,
I bought the DW735 to replace an older Delta planer, and couldn't be
happier. Comparred to my old one the finish is much better, even as the
blades wear, the maintenance is much easier, and the power seems to be
plenty sufficient. I have used it enough to be on the second side of
the blades that came with it, so maybe not a ton, but some.

I'll second that -- replaced a Delta 22-560 with the DW735, and couldn't be
happier. I agree with your comments in every respect. And I'll add one mo
the DeWalt blades are much thicker and wider than the blades in the Delta
22-560 (not sure how those compare to the 22-580, though) -- enough so that
the DeWalt blades can be resharpened (honed, actually) when they get dull. I'm
still on my first set of blades, too -- but I've resharpened them three times,
and they look like they have one or two more left in them.

I haven't looked back on that purchase even once.

Neither have I.

--
Regards,

Edwin Pawlowski

"TheKeith" wrote in message

Both planer rate very well, so i just can't make up my mind as to whether
the dewalt is worth the extra $$ (I'll gladly spend it if the difference
is substantial). Help would be appreciated--thanks.

I have the Delta and it is a very good planer. I'm not sure if the DW is
worth the extra as I've not used it, but I'd sure consider it. How is the
$115 going to affect you over the life of the machine?
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

TheKeith

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

A lot of people who have posted reviews on amazon complain that this
planer's knives are too weak and lose their edge after a very short time
of planing hardwoods, and begins to leave grooves in the wood. Have you
experience this at all? thanks.
Doug Miller

In article , TheKeith wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "Tattooed

and Dusty" wrote:

[...]

I find that the harder the wood, the better the surface it leaves. I *have*
seen the planer leave some *ridges* (never grooves), but only when planing
softer woods such as sycamore and pine. It leaves a beautiful finish on sugar
maple.

--
Regards,

TheKeith

TheKeith wrote:
I'm looking for a new planer and have basically narrowed my choices down
to these two. The dewalt has 3 blades and looks a lot heavier duty; the
delta has two blades but two speeds also and is $115 cheaper (if
purchased with the necessary dust collector attachment). Both planer
rate very well, so i just can't make up my mind as to whether the dewalt
is worth the extra $$ (I'll gladly spend it if the difference is
substantial). Help would be appreciated--thanks.

ok i decided to go with the ridgid at home depot. It comes with a
lifetime warranty, stand, extra set of blades, and a dust collector
attachment--all for $350 plus tax. Great deal, and the planer works great!