Doug Miller

Default 13" planer - delta 22-580 or dewalt DW735??

In article , TheKeith wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "Tattooed

and Dusty" wrote:

Keith,
I bought the DW735 to replace an older Delta planer, and couldn't be
happier. Comparred to my old one the finish is much better, even as the
blades wear, the maintenance is much easier, and the power seems to be
plenty sufficient. I have used it enough to be on the second side of
the blades that came with it, so maybe not a ton, but some.

I'll second that -- replaced a Delta 22-560 with the DW735, and couldn't be
happier. I agree with your comments in every respect. And I'll add one mo
the DeWalt blades are much thicker and wider than the blades in the Delta
22-560 (not sure how those compare to the 22-580, though) -- enough so that
the DeWalt blades can be resharpened (honed, actually) when they get dull.

I'm
still on my first set of blades, too -- but I've resharpened them three

times,
and they look like they have one or two more left in them.

A lot of people who have posted reviews on amazon complain that this
planer's knives are too weak and lose their edge after a very short time
of planing hardwoods, and begins to leave grooves in the wood. Have you
experience this at all? thanks.

I find that the harder the wood, the better the surface it leaves. I *have*
seen the planer leave some *ridges* (never grooves), but only when planing
softer woods such as sycamore and pine. It leaves a beautiful finish on sugar
maple.

--
Regards,