Default Butternut, Pecan, White oak inf

I'm buying some veneer online. I'm choosing between butternut, pecan
and white oak. Since I cannot see them with my own eyes, I'm looking
for a site that has some good pics and other info.

The owner has sent me pics, but I can't see the "coarsness" of the
grain very well. If anyone has experience with any of these woods could
you attempt to describe the grain and texture. Will they all look good
with an oil finish?

Thanks

Mitch

Toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm buying some veneer online. I'm choosing between butternut, pecan
and white oak. Since I cannot see them with my own eyes, I'm looking
for a site that has some good pics and other info.

The owner has sent me pics, but I can't see the "coarsness" of the
grain very well. If anyone has experience with any of these woods could
you attempt to describe the grain and texture. Will they all look good
with an oil finish?

They are all pretty coarse.
Butternut looks wonderful with oil. Pecan and oak won't change much with
just oil.

Is there something in particular you are looking for?

Greg G.

JGS said:

Hi Mitch,
Try this site. Click on the thumbnail and then hit enlarge when it opens.
Cheers, JG

http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog...hp?cPath=51_38

Hey, that's interesting.
They have a AAA Bird's Eye Walnut Sheet that looks pretty cool.
Fairly good photos.

Greg G.

dadiOH

wrote:
I'm buying some veneer online. I'm choosing between butternut, pecan
and white oak. Since I cannot see them with my own eyes, I'm looking
for a site that has some good pics and other info.

The owner has sent me pics, but I can't see the "coarsness" of the
grain very well. If anyone has experience with any of these woods
could you attempt to describe the grain and texture. Will they all
look good with an oil finish?

This is a decent pic of finished butternut as far as color goes
http://tinyurl.com/9cmq4
but is not at all representative of grain/texture. Especially texture -
much too coarse. However, it *would* be representative of white oak.
Butternut grain/texture is very much like that of walnut.

Decent pecan/hickory photo
http://tinyurl.com/8krrn

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Rodger

I'm looking for 4/4 Pecan. Having lots of trouble finding some. Any help
locating it in Illinois?
Robert Bonomi

In article io.net,
Rodger wrote:
I'm looking for 4/4 Pecan. Having lots of trouble finding some. Any help
locating it in Illinois?

smartass

Did you look between the 3/4 Pecan, and the 5/4 Pecan?

*grin*

/smartass

"Illinois" is a big area.

In metro Chicago, I'd try OWL Hardwoods, in Des Plaines.