Matthew Eash

Default First experience with Polyshades

In refinishing a huge quartersawn oak and ply bookcase for the local library
(gratis, but fun none the less) I came up with one plywood side slightly
lighter and yellower than the rest of the cabinet. In order to get even
stain, I had given a shellac wash to the cabinet, which made addtional stain
difficult.

A quick coat of Polyshades (polyurethane finish with some colorant added in)
on just the lighter side did the trick nicely; easy to control the
additional color, and a first coat of finish to boot. I had never tried
this before (not a good finisher yet) but it has earned a place in the bag
of tricks. And you see any runs that will develop immediately -- you would
have to be blind to miss them

Matthew

HMFIC-1369

For the "right color" it's tough because of it's color range, but I did get
used to the Cherry! But you have to give up some of the depth of the wood!

I made some cabinet doors just to test stains and colors, I used a Poly
shade over a Red Oak and over a Golden Oak, even over a white pine. You can
do some really interesting things with both!

minwax polyshades on fir? Home Repair 0 October 20th 05 11:38 AM
Anyone have a good experience with Black & Decker lately Fred Electronics Repair 78 January 17th 05 07:44 PM
Anyone have a good experience with Black & Decker lately Fred Home Repair 68 January 4th 05 05:37 PM
World of windows experience anyone??? The Question Asker UK diy 21 December 12th 04 03:55 AM
new combi experience report Fred UK diy 12 December 5th 04 09:11 PM