Roto Daddy

Default Newbie needs plans for Adirondack chair

I am new to this group and really just starting to get interested in
woodworking. Does anyone know of some simple yet complete plans for an
adirondack chair. So far the best bet seems to be a chair called, "Jake's
Chair." Any suggestions/advice for a newbie???

Edwin Pawlowski

"Roto Daddy" wrote in message
m...
I am new to this group and really just starting to get interested in
woodworking. Does anyone know of some simple yet complete plans for an
adirondack chair. So far the best bet seems to be a chair called, "Jake's
Chair." Any suggestions/advice for a newbie???

www.leevalley.com
http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/adironda.asp
http://www.newyankee.com/byname2.shtml

and probably 50 other places. We have Google where we live, how about you?

Andy

Hi! Welcome to the group. If you go to Rockler.com, they have a deal
right now where you get their Adirondack chair plan free if you sign up
for their email newsletter. You might have to click 'reload' a few
times on your browser, because the chair plan is one of 3 or 4 ads that
cycle through when the page loads (right-hand side of page). If you
don't have experience with them yet, Rockler is a great woodworking
supply company in general.
I don't know if Rockler's plan is better than other free plans you can
find on google, but I like to look at a few plans (if available) and
take things I like from each one before carefully planning my final
version of whatever I'm making.
There is also a fairly detailed Adk chair plan at Popular Mechanics
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...e/1273151.html
Also, you can try searching google groups - a few recent threads
suggest that Norm's adk chair plans are the most comfortable (that's
Norm of New Yankee Workshop - check out the link in the post above),
while Jake's chair isn't as comfortable or good looking.
I haven't built any of these - I'm just passing along things I've seen
recently while browsing.
In my experience, the free plans you can find all over the web are
usually not very detailed, not step by step, or maybe just "shop
drawings". When you pay for plans, or download the "weekly special" or
whatever from various woodworking catalogs or magazines, there are
often more detailed cut lists, diagrams, and step-by-step photos and
descriptions. Of course there are lots of exceptions both ways here.
Hope this is helpful - good luck and have fun with your project,
Andy

Andy

[...]
Norm of New Yankee Workshop - check out the link in Edwin's post),
while Jake's chair isn't as comfortable or good looking.
I haven't built any of these - I'm just passing along things I've seen
recently while browsing.
In my experience, the free plans you can find all over the web are
usually not very detailed, not step by step, or maybe just "shop
drawings". When you pay for plans, or download the "weekly special" or
whatever from various woodworking catalogs or magazines, there are
often more detailed cut lists, diagrams, and step-by-step photos and
descriptions. Of course there are lots of exceptions both ways here.
Hope this is helpful - good luck and have fun with your project,
Andy

Roto Daddy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
"Roto Daddy" wrote in message
m...
I am new to this group and really just starting to get interested in
woodworking. Does anyone know of some simple yet complete plans for an
adirondack chair. So far the best bet seems to be a chair called, "Jake's
Chair." Any suggestions/advice for a newbie???

www.leevalley.com
http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/adironda.asp
http://www.newyankee.com/byname2.shtml

and probably 50 other places. We have Google where we live, how about
you?

I googled it and found a bunch of pay plans and a few partial free plans. I
don't want to put too much $$$ into a project that I just might butcher :-)

Roto Daddy

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for your help. I've downloaded a few free "plans." I think I'll do
Jake's Chair since it uses all 1X's and looks the easiest to accomplish with
my limited expertise and tools.

Junior Member

Default jake chair

i used to have plans for a "jake chair" an adirondack chair kinda modified by some old guy years ago i think. the plan was made to make the perfect addirondack chair,wider arms,different slant to the back ect ect... my puter coocked a month or so ago, so i have no links to give you. but id guess asearch would help you.
good luck,and keep us posted

roy

im back,, here ya go

http://www.internetwoodworking.com/w5/chair.html

as i look at this chair again,,i now want to build a set even more than before. :-)

Last edited by roystr : November 3rd 05 at 08:44 PM Reason: new link
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 03:34:16 GMT, "Roto Daddy"
wrote:

Does anyone know of some simple yet complete plans for an
adirondack chair.

They're all staggeringly ugly (Jake's especially so), except the one
that Fine Woodworking did a few years ago. As they're all approximately
the same trouble to make, get the shape right first.

It's a good first project. If you can store it under cover for the
winter (assuming my climate) then it's worthwhile making a cheap
softwood one. If you're a bit more confident, then spend more and use
longer lasting timber, but please go easy on the rainforests.

Clint

I made this one from Wood Magazine: http://www.woodstore.net/adch.html. It
was pretty well received by SWMBO. I didn't do the two-tone thing, I made
mine out of cedar, left it a natural color with 3 coats of Sikken's Cetol on
it. I don't think it looked ugly. The materials were (AFAIR) entirely 2x6
and 1x6 regular stock from Home Depot. I don't think I had to use my
bandsaw to thin down any material; I think it was designed to use regular
stock thickness on purpose.

Anyway, my $0.02. I can post pictures in the
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking newsgroup if you want to see what it
looked like. I can't tell you how long it took to make, but it was longer
than I'd like. However, it wasn't exactly rocket science.

Clint

--
Clint
"Roto Daddy" wrote in message
m...
I am new to this group and really just starting to get interested in
woodworking. Does anyone know of some simple yet complete plans for an
adirondack chair. So far the best bet seems to be a chair called, "Jake's
Chair." Any suggestions/advice for a newbie???

Rick Damon

In article , "Roto Daddy"
wrote:

I am new to this group and really just starting to get interested in
woodworking. Does anyone know of some simple yet complete plans for an
adirondack chair. So far the best bet seems to be a chair called, "Jake's
Chair." Any suggestions/advice for a newbie???

If it's not too late to jump in on this I'd like to put in a big plug for
Norm Abram's plan in "New Yankee Workshop". I think it is actuall the
book "Classics From The New Yankee Workshop" that has these plans. I've
built 8 of these chairs and they've lasted for quite a few years. Theses
chairs are so comfortable that you could use them in the living room! I
can particularly recommend these plans for a new woodworker, as this is
what I started out with myself.

If you're feeling particularly confident you might also get the more
recent video and measured drawing for the Adirondack Loveseat from The New
Yankee Workshop. This project updated several things about the original
chair (such as countersunk and plugged screws in place of nails in many
places) which you could incorporate into the original plans.

Good luck!

Barry Lennox

wrote:

I am new to this group and really just starting to get interested in
woodworking. Does anyone know of some simple yet complete plans for an
adirondack chair. So far the best bet seems to be a chair called, "Jake's
Chair." Any suggestions/advice for a newbie???

I went around and around on Adirondack chair plans a few months ago. I
looked hard at "Jakes Chair" but decided it was a bit ugly. In the end
I used the design (It's not really a plan) from FWW of May/June 1999.
It's quite attractive and very comfortable. I have built 3 for my own
use, and have built some for friends, etc, with more orders waiting.

The first one took about 5 hours to build. But now I have templates
and jigs, and can turn out 3 in a morning, excluding painting or
finishing.

Barry Lennox

Olebiker

I have to agree with Rick on the NYW Adirondack chair. I have built
dozens of them for my family, as gifts, and a few ever for sale. Right
now, we are having an Ebay-style auction at work to raise money for the
United Way. I donated one of the chairs and, as of a little while ago,
the bid was $55. I build them from pressure treated lumber then paint
them.

The End of Pensions -- But Keep Voting for Republicans as You Spend Your Golden Years in a Cardboard Box on the Street Cliff Metalworking 175 November 7th 05 08:17 PM
Plans for the Hemingway chair? RESPITE95 Woodworking 1 February 9th 05 04:38 AM
Folding Deck Chair Plans Greg Woodworking 0 January 21st 04 06:42 AM
Chair Plans Dale Krech Woodworking 1 September 30th 03 02:39 PM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM