Default best compound miter saw?

I am looking for input before purchasing a compound miter saw for my
husband as a gift. I am looking to replace a radial arm saw that he
picked up used several years ago. The darn thing never stays in
alignment for a straight cut. I've been told a compound miter saw is
more useful, but don't know what to get. He is just a hobby and fix-it
user, but I am willing to get him a nice one ($500-600 range if
needed). Is it worth it to move up to a sliding compoung miter? He'd
like a saw with a laser line. I'd appreciate any input you can give me
as to features to look for, brands, accessories to get (his kids are
looking for gift ideas too), etc. Thanks for your time.

NorthIdahoWWer

I'm with the majority on this one. Makita sliding but 10" not 12". I can't
vouch for the laser option, never used one with it.

Your husband is a lucky man! ;-)

Will

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for input before purchasing a compound miter saw for my
husband as a gift. I am looking to replace a radial arm saw that he
picked up used several years ago. The darn thing never stays in
alignment for a straight cut. I've been told a compound miter saw is
more useful, but don't know what to get. He is just a hobby and fix-it
user, but I am willing to get him a nice one ($500-600 range if
needed). Is it worth it to move up to a sliding compoung miter? He'd
like a saw with a laser line. I'd appreciate any input you can give me
as to features to look for, brands, accessories to get (his kids are
looking for gift ideas too), etc. Thanks for your time.

Clint

Another option might be to get him a gift certificate or in-store credit at
a local tool store. That way, HE can pick it out. After all, half the fun
of getting a new tool is shopping for it, right?

Clint

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for input before purchasing a compound miter saw for my
husband as a gift. I am looking to replace a radial arm saw that he
picked up used several years ago. The darn thing never stays in
alignment for a straight cut. I've been told a compound miter saw is
more useful, but don't know what to get. He is just a hobby and fix-it
user, but I am willing to get him a nice one ($500-600 range if
needed). Is it worth it to move up to a sliding compoung miter? He'd
like a saw with a laser line. I'd appreciate any input you can give me
as to features to look for, brands, accessories to get (his kids are
looking for gift ideas too), etc. Thanks for your time.

199.45.49.11

I'm happy with my Rigid. But the lasers looks good, but is honestly of
little value. If you just ripping and chopping the laser is quick, but for
fine cut's you can't use it!

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for input before purchasing a compound miter saw for my
husband as a gift. I am looking to replace a radial arm saw that he
picked up used several years ago. The darn thing never stays in
alignment for a straight cut. I've been told a compound miter saw is
more useful, but don't know what to get. He is just a hobby and fix-it
user, but I am willing to get him a nice one ($500-600 range if
needed). Is it worth it to move up to a sliding compoung miter? He'd
like a saw with a laser line. I'd appreciate any input you can give me
as to features to look for, brands, accessories to get (his kids are
looking for gift ideas too), etc. Thanks for your time.

Greg G.

"199.45.49.11" Baa said:

I'm happy with my Rigid. But the lasers looks good, but is honestly of
little value. If you just ripping and chopping the laser is quick, but for
fine cut's you can't use it!

I have to disagree somewhat with that assessment.
I don't know much about the Borg's CMS, and the blade mounted lasers
are pretty much worthless, but a nice, thin-line, dual laser, or one
that matches the blade kerf, is quite useful and accurate. I built my
own and love it. It's far more accurate than lining up the blade with
a mark manually.

FWIW,

Greg G.
199.45.49.11

Well your not going to like it, but you don't make sense. Since the blade is
fixed (like the Laser) every thing you line it up is done manually. you
still have to manually align it to the laser which is or is not calibrated.
Just think about it for a minute .... I didn't think your stock
automatically aligned itself to be cut???

The Laser will never be as accurate as your own (stereo) eyes, unless
perhaps if you only have one eye. The Laser would most certainly require
attention calibration and recalibration.... If I'm cutting an expensive
piece of stock, Thanks, I'll check the blades visual alignment to the stock
first!

Because you can NEVER be sure unless you check and calibrate the laser for
each cut......

It's what we call a gimmick!

"Greg G." wrote in message
"199.45.49.11" Baa said:

I'm happy with my Rigid. But the lasers looks good, but is honestly of
little value. If you just ripping and chopping the laser is quick, but

for
fine cut's you can't use it!

I have to disagree somewhat with that assessment.
I don't know much about the Borg's CMS, and the blade mounted lasers
are pretty much worthless, but a nice, thin-line, dual laser, or one
that matches the blade kerf, is quite useful and accurate. I built my
own and love it. It's far more accurate than lining up the blade with
a mark manually.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Robatoy

In article x2g9f.1949$hp5.1750@trnddc04,
"199.45.49.11" Baa wrote:

It's what we call a gimmick!

Hell, they're putting lasers on everything. I have a butter
knife....naaaa..kidding.

But you're right. I have played with laser guides and found them
irritatingly useless. One of my suppliers has one on his 16" beam
saw...he puts mitres on post-formed counter tops..there I see the use
for it there.
HMFIC-1369

The Laser Lines are great for layout of a room with the 360, 160 & 90
degreed lasers you want to square a room or anything really in no time. My
kitchen was driving me crazy. So I said let's try one, bought the
straight-line 180 model and bam had the floor squared in no time.

But for cutting anything, and your right they threw them on everything, they
suck.

"199.45.49.11" Baa wrote:

It's what we call a gimmick!

Hell, they're putting lasers on everything. I have a butter
knife....naaaa..kidding.

But you're right. I have played with laser guides and found them
irritatingly useless. One of my suppliers has one on his 16" beam
saw...he puts mitres on post-formed counter tops..there I see the use
for it there.

Pat Barber

There is almost certainly a decent tool dealer "somewhere"
in your area. Most of these guys will carry almost all of
the major brands. Go and find one or more of these stores
and ask them for help in selecting a saw.

You might be surprised at what help you can get in one
of these stores.

Lowes and Home Depot do the exact same thing but you will
be hard pressed to find a knowledgeable sales clerk to
explain the differences.

I would look at the Porter Cable, Dewalt and Makita brands
for several excellent options.

Porter Cable 3802
Dewalt 715 or 716
Makita LS 1214 or LS 1221

http://www.portercable.com/
http://www.dewalt.com/us/woodworking/mitersaw/
http://www.makita.com/

wrote:

I am looking for input before purchasing a compound miter saw for my
husband as a gift. I am looking to replace a radial arm saw that he
picked up used several years ago. The darn thing never stays in
alignment for a straight cut. I've been told a compound miter saw is
more useful, but don't know what to get. He is just a hobby and fix-it
user, but I am willing to get him a nice one ($500-600 range if
needed). Is it worth it to move up to a sliding compoung miter? He'd
like a saw with a laser line. I'd appreciate any input you can give me
as to features to look for, brands, accessories to get (his kids are
looking for gift ideas too), etc. Thanks for your time.

Squanklin

199.45.49.11 wrote:
I'm happy with my Rigid. But the lasers looks good, but is honestly of
little value. If you just ripping and chopping the laser is quick, but for
fine cut's you can't use it!

Second the approval of a Ridgid. The salesman at the orange borg was
very helpful in his assessment and comparison of the 10" Ridgid versus
the 10" DeWalt. I've been happy with it for $199.

Frank Korb

I have a Hitachi 10" compound sliding miter saw with a laser and am totally
pleased with it. I have used it for everything from building my kitchen
cabinets when I remodeled my kitchen to building furniture to running crown
molding and it has worked fabulously. I personally like the laser line,
especially when cutting compound miters. I think this particular model runs
around $450 or so online at AMAZON.COM.

HerHusband

I would look at the Porter Cable, Dewalt and Makita brands
for several excellent options.

Porter Cable 3802
Dewalt 715 or 716
Makita LS 1214 or LS 1221

What do folks here think of the Dewalt 718? The 16" crosscut capacity
seems to be the largest I've seen.

Anthony
David

HerHusband wrote:

I would look at the Porter Cable, Dewalt and Makita brands
for several excellent options.

Porter Cable 3802
Dewalt 715 or 716
Makita LS 1214 or LS 1221

What do folks here think of the Dewalt 718? The 16" crosscut capacity
seems to be the largest I've seen.

Anthony

it's a step backwards.

it's got much more lateral slop than the 708 and it's hard to start it
moving (stiction). I've seen 2 units at 2 different stores. each 718
exhibited identical and unworthy behavior.

which puts me in a quandary, because I'd been looking forward to the
718. it only looks good on paper. when you "kick the tires", unless
your requirements are less than mine, you'll pass up the 718

Dave
HerHusband

David,

it's got much more lateral slop than the 708 and it's hard to start it
moving (stiction). I've seen 2 units at 2 different stores. each 718
exhibited identical and unworthy behavior.

Bummer... But Thanks for the info!

I love my low end Delta miter saw other than it's limited to a 5-1/2"
crosscut.

My "dream" machine is something that could cut a 24" panel as easily as my
current miter saw cuts a 2x6. Sure, I could use my tablesaw, but it's a
little difficult trying to balance large panels on the very small top of my
saw. So, I always resort to a straight edge and a circular saw. Safe, and
it works fine, but it's a bit of effort to set everything up for the cut.

Anthony
Chris Friesen

HerHusband wrote:

I love my low end Delta miter saw other than it's limited to a 5-1/2"
crosscut.

My "dream" machine is something that could cut a 24" panel as easily as my
current miter saw cuts a 2x6.

Your wish is granted. 14" Delta RAS, with 29" crosscut.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=889

Chris

HerHusband

Chris,

My "dream" machine is something that could cut a 24" panel as easily
as my current miter saw cuts a 2x6.

Your wish is granted. 14" Delta RAS, with 29" crosscut.
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=889

That would be a nice option if I had the space and an extra $5000 laying
around. For now, I'll just stick with the circular saw and straight
edge.

Anthony