Dick Fitzwell

Default Sap Bleeding through Finish on Cabinet Drawers

We moved into a new house six months ago. We selected some beautiful cherry
cabinets and have been very happy with the choice. Recently, the finish on
the end grain of several cabinet drawers has taken on a milky haze. My guess
is that sap is bleeding through the finish.

Plan A is to have the builder replace the offending drawers.

If Plan A does not work, how do I remove this sap without hurting the
finish? If I am mis-diagnosing this problem, I am sure you will let me know.

I appreciate your collective wisdom. Thanks for the help.

Dick Fitzwell

George

"Dick Fitzwell" wrote in message
We moved into a new house six months ago. We selected some beautiful
cherry
cabinets and have been very happy with the choice. Recently, the finish on
the end grain of several cabinet drawers has taken on a milky haze. My
guess
is that sap is bleeding through the finish.

Plan A is to have the builder replace the offending drawers.

If Plan A does not work, how do I remove this sap without hurting the
finish? If I am mis-diagnosing this problem, I am sure you will let me
know.

I appreciate your collective wisdom. Thanks for the help.

Six months ago in the humidity, now in the heating season? Sounds like the
moisture's trying to find its way out. Probably will, because no finish is
perfect enough to completely close it out.

Decide next spring. It's certainly not sap, because sap comes out in the
spring, not fall.
You're not in the southern hemisphere are you?

DanG

The milky haze sure sounds like moisture to me. When this happens
on a table top, wiping some mayonnaise on like a poultice seems to
remove it. Are the drawers having the problem close to the
dishwasher or other source of humidity?

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)