Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
foggytown

Default DIY show formats

I had occasion to contrast Norm and Paul Bradburn (Cutting Edge
Woodworking?) not long ago and I made an observation. These kinds of
shown need directors who know a lot about the subject.

To begin with, Bradburn has a personality (OK, it's kind of "cutesy"
but it's there) whereas Norm rather struggles in that department.

The main point is that after watching 1/2 hour of Paul I often didn't
have a feel for what he'd done or how he'd done it. With the same 1/2
hour, however, (and sometimes more complicated projects) Norm leaves
you with a reasonably good idea of what to do and, as importantly, HOW.

Personally I think it's down to the director and the editor. Knowing
what to highlight is most of the battle. I still can't put my finger
on why Bradburn doesn't click.

The less said about David Free the better. The Monotone Chippy would
put anyone to sleep.

FoggyTown