DamnYankee

Default Dust collector not collecting.

Why is it that the most obvious solution is always the one checked
last?

Dust collector not sucking, running but no suction. So, I'm thinking
it plugged before it gets into the seperator. Nope! Okay, must be those
freaking blast gates that if not mounted upside down, get the gate
channel clogged with sawdust to the point that they won't close so the
suction goes way down on the other machines. Nope! Do you suppose
I've got a clog at the collector at the chunk collector grate? Duh!
Of course that was it. I'd been planing some wide pine and the nice
wide "curls" had gotten past the chip collector made a nice 5x5 wad
right at the grate. Got all kinds of suction now!!!!

I did remount the blast gates while I was screwing around so I got all
the suction I need at the 20" planer. Gates close completely everytime
now.

Bryan

DamnYankee wrote:
[...]

Don't feel bad...a few months ago, I got my new (first) dust collector,
only to discover that it was running the wrong way!!

Or so I thought. They had "pre-assembled" the Y-connector onto the
outlet port in order to fit it into the box. The instructions (who
reads those?!) clearly stated you had to remove the Y and put it on the
inlet side.

You have no idea how stupid _I_ felt after that one.

Kind of still do, come to think of it...

Edwin Pawlowski

"DamnYankee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why is it that the most obvious solution is always the one checked
last?

While we are on the subject of DC and dumb stuff, that plastic window on the
side of the bag should be looked at closely. Just be cause it is lighter
above the dark chips does not mean there is space there.

Edwin Pawlowski

"CW" wrote in message
news
Ever failed to check until the top bag is 1/2 full? Bit of a mess.

Of course not. I know better than that.

OK, how about 1/3 full?

CW

Close enough.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"CW" wrote in message
news
Ever failed to check until the top bag is 1/2 full? Bit of a mess.

Of course not. I know better than that.

OK, how about 1/3 full?

Mike Pio

[...]

Same thing happened to me the other day. The clog that came out could have
made a blonde wig for someone. I've found I get much better suction when I
really clean out the DC filter and keep the chips in the bag low. I think
there's a formula out there that tells you this...somewhere.

-m

DamnYankee

I was planing boards at a friends shop and filled up all 4 bags(both
upper bags). That was alot of a mess. It only happened once! :-)

Bryan

mac davis

On 17 Oct 2005 10:42:46 -0700, "DamnYankee" wrote:

[...]

I've done all that trouble shooting and found later that the trash can on the
cyclone was full.. *blush*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Patrick Conroy

"DamnYankee" wrote in
oups.com:

I've got a clog at the collector at the chunk collector grate? Duh!

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.
Finally wized up and loosed the hose clamp, since clumping was a common
occurance.

On the "Dumb DC Moves" front, a few months ago, I was planing up a slew of
stock and in a hurry. Slowly, it dawns on me that the shop is getting
kind'a foggy, kind'a hazy.

One of the DC piping joints had come apart and the last 20 minutes of
planing shavings were getting spewed all over the garage corner. DW735 has
a fan on it and it was a heck of a mess.

Edwin Pawlowski

Steve knight

hell these stories did not cost anything. I thought because I used a
larger air hose that I used too much air blowing out my cartridge
fillers and I was smelling sawdust. so I broke down and bought another
set (about 145 with shipping) well get the new ones and take the old
ones off and they are full of sawdust. I had been tapping the catch
bucket at the bottom and it sounded fine. silly me should have taken
it off and looked.
then the sawdust started getting in the filters again after my
cyclone. after asking I found out the plastic can was collapsing and
losing the seal.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes