TwoGuns

Default Anyone know of good uses for old 2-liter bottles?

Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to
come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any
of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Just some of the things I do with them:
As a bachelor with a deep freeze I wash them out and fill with water
and place in the bottom part of my freezer. On a couple occasions when
the power went off the frozen 2 litter water bottles kept the food from

spoiling. Also makes a good supply of survival water if needed.

They make great bird & squirrel feeders with a few modifications.

Screwing the caps to the bottom of shelves in my shop allows me storage

space for things like nails, screws or just about anything that fits in

the mouth. Since the caps on the 16oz and 1 liter bottles have the same

threads I can use the appropriate sizes. Transparency make for easy
I.D. of contents.

Make great rockets with the proper air pump etc.

Great molds for wax candles. Leave in the bottle to protect against
insects and rodents until needed. To remove use utility knife to cut
around the bottle then place in hot water and pull bottle apart after a

minute or so.

Remove the caps and crimp four or more small diameter wires on the cap
with the slightly (inwardly) curved wires extending into the bottle
three inches or so. Place a dollop of peanut butter or other bait
inside the bottle and you have a great live trap for mice and other
small critters. Makes a great execution chamber with appropriate
chemicals and cap on or transportation method to a safe release area.

These are just a few of the uses I have found. I would appreciate any
ideas anyone can add.

T.I.A,
Dennis

B a r r y

TwoGuns wrote:

These are just a few of the uses I have found. I would appreciate any
ideas anyone can add.

I return 'em for a nickel. G

Barry

I throw them into my trash can when I am done - they make nice filler
to make sure I am getting my money's worth from my trash collectors.
Sorry, I could just not resist. :-)

Ocassionally, in the summer, I will wash them out, fill them with water
and freeze them. When it is frozen, I give it to my dog and he lays on
it under a shade tree to keep cool. He really seems to like it.

mac davis

On 14 Oct 2005 08:22:59 -0700, "TwoGuns" wrote:

We use several of these during the summer to water plants:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4329

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
bremen68

They make great reactive targets.....Fill em with water and the
kinetic's demonstration of a large calliber bullet hitting them can be
rather spectacular. Depending if you enjoy that sort of thing.
Shotguns make a pretty good show too.

You can hang them from a tree with a bit of twine too.

Another item is take and shred enough alluminium foil to cover the
bottom, add a certain liquid (I'm not enabling any injuries here, if
you know what it is it's not my fault if you injure yourself) and the
ensuing chemical reaction can be interesting. As the reaction releases
gas it fills and expands the bottle. It's impressive how big some of
them can get.

To show I'm not totally destruction oriented. You can make some pretty
nice bird chasers for your garden from them too. Use a utility knife
to make cuts down the length of the bottle with cross cuts of about 1/2
inch or so on the top and bottom of the initial slice (this makes a
flap you can turn out) Do this the entire way around the bottle and
turn them all out about the same amount. You should end up with a
bottle that looks like a paddle wheel...You can then turn the the
bottle upside down and slide it down onto a dowl rod pole and use a
finish nail to tack them down, after you drive the nail thru the middle
of the bottom of the bottle wiggle it to loosen it up so it turns
freely then paint to taste....put it in the garden and when the wind
blows it spins...

There are a couple of diffent ways to make the pivot mechanism for
better spinning action....

FunkySpaceCowboy

Make your own soda! Head down to your local homebrew shop and ask for a
soda making kit. You'll get a bottle of soda extract (comes in many
different flavors) instructions and some yeast. After you mix up the
extract, water and sugar (you can use real sugar, not corn syrup) you
add a little bit of yeast, seal the bottle and store in a cool, dark
place for a few days.

The yeast starts eating the sugar, producing CO2 which will pressurize
the bottle and carbonate your soda. It will add a little bit of alcohol
to the mix as well but only something like .1%

Of course you can also use them to condition (carbonate) beer too, but
the soda setup is much cheaper (~$5) if you're not already into
homebrewing.

Cheers,

Josh

Dave Hinz

On 14 Oct 2005 09:50:22 -0700, bremen68 wrote:

They make great reactive targets.....Fill em with water and the
kinetic's demonstration of a large calliber bullet hitting them can be
rather spectacular. Depending if you enjoy that sort of thing.
Shotguns make a pretty good show too.

Target area gets pretty muddy after not too many, though. Metal paint
cans full of water are fun - large and slow projectiles launch the lid
pretty well, column of water, lots of fun.

No

I googled this and there are lots of fun things you can do with Al.
Interestingly the best info I found on pyrotechnics with Al was on a
government website!

TwoGuns wrote:
Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to
come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any
of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Do you have boat? You can keep the cap on them and throw in
whereever there is unused void space for addtional flotation.

You can put a little sodium hydroxide solution in them then add
aluminum foil to make hydrogen to fill your Hindenberg replica.
Leave the cap off and collect the gas in a plastic bag. (The
solution will heat to boiling and lye is nasty, exercise
appropriate precautions.)

You can toss them into your attic for extra insulation.

--

FF

FriscoSoxFan

Disposible funnel - for car oil, getting the thinner back in the can,
etc.

Good for paint. Cut em in half. Turn the neck upside down into the base
and use it as a funnel to pour paint into the bottom part out of the
gallon can. When youve used up most of the paint, use the neck part as
a funnel to pour into a mason jar.

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I throw them into my trash can when I am done - they make nice filler
to make sure I am getting my money's worth from my trash collectors.
Sorry, I could just not resist. :-)

Ocassionally, in the summer, I will wash them out, fill them with water
and freeze them. When it is frozen, I give it to my dog and he lays on
it under a shade tree to keep cool. He really seems to like it.

My "grandpuppies" as my daughter calls them, love the noise and the speed of
an empty bottle over the floor. When they've finally bitten and perforated
it, it goes back to the shredder at the store for a 10 cent refund.

Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
TwoGuns wrote:

These are just a few of the uses I have found. I would appreciate any
ideas anyone can add.

We no longer have a pet rabbit, but filling them with water and
freezing them makes a great way for a rabbit to cool off on a very hot
day. They stretch out beside them for a nap...

Punch a few small holes on the sides, cut the top off and sink them
into your pumpkin or melon hills as a great way to get water to the
root systems.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:11:28 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article .com,
TwoGuns wrote:

These are just a few of the uses I have found. I would appreciate any
ideas anyone can add.

We no longer have a pet rabbit, but filling them with water and
freezing them

....would explain why you don't have a pet rabbit anymore.

Punch a few small holes on the sides, cut the top off and sink them
into your pumpkin or melon hills as a great way to get water to the
root systems.

Yes, that also, is bad for rabbits.

Dave "Or, did I miss a topic-shift somewhere?" Hinz

D. J. MCBRIDE

wrote in message
They make a halfway decent suppressor for your gun.

How DO you sight down the barrel or through the scope with a two
litre bottle taped around the muzzle?

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

D. J. MCBRIDE

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
oups.com...
Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to
come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any
of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about
it.

I've been told (though never tried) that deer will learn to kick
them in order to get the shelled corn inside out onto the ground.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

World Traveler

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
oups.com...
Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to
come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any
of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about it.

[snip]

Cut the bottom off, turn the bottom piece upside down and put it over the
vent opening on an outboard motor gasoline tank. It still allows air in but
is added protection against rain or dirt sneaking through the vent. (From a
local Florida boat dealer.)

John DeBoo

Great nail & screw cups when cut in half and placed in the plastic
containers that originally hold them as soda bottles (2 rows of 4).
Easy to tote around and/or store.

22 targets.... :-)

John

TwoGuns wrote:
Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to
come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any
of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about it.

John DeBoo

I used to do that with the 1gal plastic milk cartons, put in ice cubes,
screw on the cap and give to the german shepard. The ice rattling in
there ****ed him off and he'd chew them suckers to pieces with a
vengence, then look at me all satisfied once they were annihilated.

wrote:

I throw them into my trash can when I am done - they make nice filler
to make sure I am getting my money's worth from my trash collectors.
Sorry, I could just not resist. :-)

Ocassionally, in the summer, I will wash them out, fill them with water
and freeze them. When it is frozen, I give it to my dog and he lays on
it under a shade tree to keep cool. He really seems to like it.

Dave Balderstone

In article , John DeBoo
wrote:

22 targets...

Thirty ought six, I think you mean. Woohoo, do they jump!

Luigi Zanasi

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:28:48 -0700, mac davis
scribbled:

On 14 Oct 2005 08:22:59 -0700, "TwoGuns" wrote:

We use several of these during the summer to water plants:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4329

I use the LVT version
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10408&cat=2,2280,33159&ap=1

I've also filled them with water and used for thermal mass under the
greenhouse raised growing beds (but I now use 4-litre milk jugs).

But mostly, I return them to the recycling centre and get my quarter
back.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking
Luigi Zanasi

On 14 Oct 2005 08:22:59 -0700, "TwoGuns"
scribbled:
I've seen them used for moose calls.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking

Steve Peterson

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , John DeBoo
wrote:

22 targets...

Thirty ought six, I think you mean. Woohoo, do they jump!

If you want it more realistic, fill them with sand, or water. If you want
it more exciting, fill them with hydrogen, with a candle burning just
beside. If you need to know how to make hydrogen, let me know.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Morris Dovey
wrote:

Amazing - It used to be SOP for Atlantans to go out on December 31 and
fire their favorite pop gun into the midnight sky. Sounds like all
those yankee transplants finally managed to "civilize" 'em. Next,
they'll be shuttin' down the Varsity as "subversive".

Friend of mine used to work for Coca-cola as a graphic designer in
their building on the edge of East LA. Cool building, looks like a
ship.

The roof was the open air lunch area.

On Cinco de Mayo, Coke forbid their employees from going out on the
roof, and swept up the slugs that fell from the sky the next morning.

djb

Dave Balderstone

In article . net,
Steve Peterson wrote:

If you want it more realistic, fill them with sand, or water.

Oops. The water was assumed.

The last time I shot at them was at my brother's place out in the wilds
of Manitoba a cupla years back.

I winged one on the curve from the neck down, and the melted groove in
the plastic was way cool.

djb

mac davis

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:26:48 -0700, Luigi Zanasi wrote:

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:28:48 -0700, mac davis
scribbled:

On 14 Oct 2005 08:22:59 -0700, "TwoGuns" wrote:

We use several of these during the summer to water plants:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4329

I use the LVT version
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10408&cat=2,2280,33159&ap=1

Wow.. kind of pricey... I can't imagine that they work any differently than the
HF ones??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

TwoGuns wrote:

These are just a few of the uses I have found. I would appreciate any
ideas anyone can add.

We no longer have a pet rabbit, but filling them with water and
freezing them

...would explain why you don't have a pet rabbit anymore.

yeah, but those frozen bunnies could be useful for something, I guess...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Dave Balderstone

In article , mac davis
wrote:

yeah, but those frozen bunnies could be useful for something, I guess...

Rabbits... the *NEW* push stick.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Jim
wrote:

I thought that was cats.

Cats are *SO* nineties...

Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:20:10 -0600, Dave Balderstone
scribbled:

In article , Jim
wrote:

I thought that was cats.

Cats are *SO* nineties...

Dead rabbit pushstick from the 90s:
http://www.whipplesargent.com/whipjig5.pdf

Sherman used to post on the wreck.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking
Dave Jackson

put some strips of aluminum foil in the bottle and add a little HCL ("The
Works" toilet bowl cleaner works real well) tighten the cap, give a shake,
and toss out back. In a few minuites there will be a real big "BANG" when
the bottle explodes from the reaction. be sure to stay clear! --dave

"bremen68" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Tim

I have been using 2L bottles as fence post covers for years! I cut the
top off down far enough to make the sides straight, and flip them over
and slide them down over the tops of the posts, (usually a nice tight
slip-fit). Seems to keep the posts from splitting and the birds from
messing on them. I also have the neatest looking, round topped, (I use
the bottles with the seperate platic base glued to them), pasture
fenceposts around!
Tim Q

George

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
hlink.net...
put some strips of aluminum foil in the bottle and add a little HCL ("The
Works" toilet bowl cleaner works real well) tighten the cap, give a shake,
and toss out back. In a few minuites there will be a real big "BANG" when
the bottle explodes from the reaction. be sure to stay clear! --dave

You'll want to review your inorganic chemistry. It's hydroxides you're
after if you want to generate hydrogen. Lye is the preferred for its punch
by weight. Drano and some other drain cleaners even include some aluminum
chips for the foaming and the mechanical action it generates.

Dave Balderstone

wrote:

I thought that was cats.

Cats are *SO* nineties...

Dead rabbit pushstick from the 90s:
http://www.whipplesargent.com/whipjig5.pdf

Uh, Weegee?

That's a dead rabbit PULL stick.

Tsk, tsk...

George wrote:
"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
hlink.net...
put some strips of aluminum foil in the bottle and add a little HCL ("The
Works" toilet bowl cleaner works real well) tighten the cap, give a shake,
and toss out back. In a few minuites there will be a real big "BANG" when
the bottle explodes from the reaction. be sure to stay clear! --dave

IIUC,
That, and variations on exploding pop bottles that rely on dry ice,
liquid nitrogen or vinegar and baking soda are all considered ex-
plosive devices under Federal Law. Not being concerned with such
issues as common sense, the feds may well prosecute, seeking
prison time.

It is surprising that the BATF has interpreted Federal Law to
exclude 'spud guns' from regulation.

You'll want to review your inorganic chemistry. It's hydroxides you're
after if you want to generate hydrogen. Lye is the preferred for its punch
by weight. Drano and some other drain cleaners even include some aluminum
chips for the foaming and the mechanical action it generates.

And heat, which helps to soften grease.

Aluminum is amphiprotic. When it reacts with HCl, what are the
products? I'd expect to get AlCl2 + H2.

The reaction with lye is _quite_ energetic and does, as you note,
produce hydrogen. Hydrocloric acid and zinc is a gentler way to
produce hydrogen.

--

FF

Steve Peterson

2Al + 6HCl -- 2AlCl3 + 3 H2 sorry, no subscripts for email
but 2Al + 6OH- -- Al2O3 + 3 H2O

so the reaction with acid produces hydrogen gas

Steve