Dave Jackson

Default Anyone know of good uses for old 2-liter bottles?

put some strips of aluminum foil in the bottle and add a little HCL ("The
Works" toilet bowl cleaner works real well) tighten the cap, give a shake,
and toss out back. In a few minuites there will be a real big "BANG" when
the bottle explodes from the reaction. be sure to stay clear! --dave

"bremen68" wrote in message
oups.com...

They make great reactive targets.....Fill em with water and the
kinetic's demonstration of a large calliber bullet hitting them can be
rather spectacular. Depending if you enjoy that sort of thing.
Shotguns make a pretty good show too.

You can hang them from a tree with a bit of twine too.

Another item is take and shred enough alluminium foil to cover the
bottom, add a certain liquid (I'm not enabling any injuries here, if
you know what it is it's not my fault if you injure yourself) and the
ensuing chemical reaction can be interesting. As the reaction releases
gas it fills and expands the bottle. It's impressive how big some of
them can get.

To show I'm not totally destruction oriented. You can make some pretty
nice bird chasers for your garden from them too. Use a utility knife
to make cuts down the length of the bottle with cross cuts of about 1/2
inch or so on the top and bottom of the initial slice (this makes a
flap you can turn out) Do this the entire way around the bottle and
turn them all out about the same amount. You should end up with a
bottle that looks like a paddle wheel...You can then turn the the
bottle upside down and slide it down onto a dowl rod pole and use a
finish nail to tack them down, after you drive the nail thru the middle
of the bottom of the bottle wiggle it to loosen it up so it turns
freely then paint to taste....put it in the garden and when the wind
blows it spins...

There are a couple of diffent ways to make the pivot mechanism for
better spinning action....