JB

Default Opinions Please

Hello to all,

After many years of adding machinery and equipment to my collection, it
might be time to sell some items. I just have too much machinery in my
garage.

I am asking what the following pieces of equipment in new condition should
be priced at.

General (made in Canada) Model 130 Planer (like new, used once)

Delta Model 43-379 3HP shaper (never used)

Delta Model 46541P Cabinet, Variable Speed Wood Lathe (used twice)

These machines are in excellent condition. I am selling them because I do
not use them and they are taking up valuable space.

I am located in Central New Jersey.

I also have an old Walker Turner 14" Wood/Metal Bandsaw in good condition
that I am thinking of selling. It has a 2 speed transmission which makes
this a perfect bandsaw for wood and metal.

All these items are single phase machines.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Duane Bozarth

JB wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, used equipment goes for not much different price no
matter how much it is or isn't used (assuming not abused). You may get
a little bit of a premium over "run of the mill", but I'd doubt you'll
get much over 50-75% of new for any of it--it just doesn't bring more as
there's typically too much around to compete.
BillyBob

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Unfortunately, used equipment goes for not much different price no
matter how much it is or isn't used (assuming not abused). You may get
a little bit of a premium over "run of the mill", but I'd doubt you'll
get much over 50-75% of new for any of it--it just doesn't bring more as
there's typically too much around to compete.

I agree. The real big difference between new and used, assuming the
manufacturer has not had a huge drop in quality, is the warranty. A two
year warranty from Jet or other name brand product is worth a lot because
they back it with customer service and no cost parts replacement. A used
product without the warranty should justifiably sell 30-40% below new price
because you are not selling what came with the new product. A lot of used
equipment sellers throw in some good accessories (quality saw blades,
expensive jigs and templates, etc) to raise the price and that often
represents a fair deal for the buyer.

Bob

dadiOH

JB wrote:

I am asking what the following pieces of equipment in new condition
should be priced at.

A lot depends on where you are. In my area, wages are low and there are
lots of workmen; consequently, used prices are often in the 75%-85% of
new range, rarely below 60%. I've even seen auction sales where
something sold for more than new. Go figure...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

BillyBob

"dadiOH" wrote in message

new range, rarely below 60%. I've even seen auction sales where
something sold for more than new. Go figure...

I recently paid near new price for a disk-belt sander because I thought it
was a good deal. My reference new price was Amazon.com. I later learned
Amazon's price was 80% higher than home depot/lowes. I felt taken and
learned a hard lesson - check prices at multiple sources to be sure. I
think Amazon's price was incorrectly posted.

My point is that I think people sometimes pay more than new because of
ignorance. Nobody wants to feel like they have been taken.

Bob

SonomaProducts.com

Do you need any more items? ;^)

Finish Nailer opinions?? Ol' Texan Woodworking 5 January 17th 05 10:42 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Buying a new press brake, opinions? KMC Metalworking 2 August 3rd 04 07:02 PM
opinions on machine suppliers michael Metalworking 0 July 31st 04 07:16 PM
Wagner Contractor sprayers opinions Dave Home Repair 2 July 1st 04 11:20 PM