GrayFox

Default Hanging Cabinet Doors

What's the best way to hang cabinet doors? Mount the hinges to the
doors and then to the face frame, or mount to the face frame and then to
the doors?
Leon

I always put the hinge on the door first.

"GrayFox" wrote in message
What's the best way to hang cabinet doors? Mount the hinges to the
doors and then to the face frame, or mount to the face frame and then to
the doors?

jo4hn

GrayFox wrote:
What's the best way to hang cabinet doors? Mount the hinges to the
doors and then to the face frame, or mount to the face frame and then to
the doors?

Hang the hinge on the door. If the cabinets are built-ins, put blocks
under the door from the floor up to its correct position, mark the screw
holes and go from there. If free standing, lay the cabinet on its back,
position the door and ...

Quite often, some bad words help the situation.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Somewhat related question. I'm going to mount some doors in a cabinet
where the doors are going to be mounted inside an edge frame... sort
of a modern cabinet 3/4 thick edges all the way around. I'd like to
"recess" the door so I have a 1/8" reveal. The hinges are non-mortise
type, where they are only one thickness of metal thick, and the two
hinge parts nest one inside a cutout of the other.

Normally, I mount the hinges to the doors first, and then set up the
positioning before driving in the screws that hold the hinges to the
cabinet face or sides. To get the reveal I noted, am I going to be
looking for trouble, or do I simply mount the door hinge plate 1/8"
offset so the door will be located 1/8" inwards of the front leading
edge? My hangup is mounting it so that the doors open 170° without
crushing wood.