robert hann

Default Finish problems

dadiOH

robert hann wrote:
15 years ago, the cedar paneling in my house was finished with pure
tung oil. Of course it never dried and on hot and humid days it
remains a sticky mess. What can I do to seal it? Any ideas?

Glue on print outs of HTML posts.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

SonomaProducts.com

I can give you a clue but don't have an exact answer.

I would determine what is the best solvent for tung. Might be alcohol,
maybe acetone or possibly mineral spirits. I'm sure some Bob Flexner
book has that answer. Wipe down and let dry a few times then coat with
Shellac. Shellac seems to be the best covering film available. It is
used to stop sap from seeping through a finish or mildew, etc. Then you
can lacquer over the shellac if you like.

Jois

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
I can give you a clue but don't have an exact answer.

I would determine what is the best solvent for tung. Might be alcohol,
maybe acetone or possibly mineral spirits. I'm sure some Bob Flexner
book has that answer. Wipe down and let dry a few times then coat with
Shellac. Shellac seems to be the best covering film available. It is
used to stop sap from seeping through a finish or mildew, etc. Then you
can lacquer over the shellac if you like.

See the first paragraph he

http://www.garrettwade.com/sdx/H35749.jsp

I don't understand why your walls are not dry and isn't this expected of
varnish when applied in wet weather? Maybe you have a combination tung -
one that is 15 years old and just plain strange?

Anyway, test!

Josie

robert hann

dadiOH

robert hann wrote:
Thanx for your response to my post. Your advice is well taken. I am
puzzeled, though, by one thing you said. Why would I want to laquer
over shellac? Please advise. Robert

It's sort of like your posting in HTML...a matter of resistance.
Shellac has poor water resistance, HTML has poor virus resistance.

I am sure you know how to apply lacquer. Do you know how to post in
text?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

nospambob

It would be helpful if text you are referring to was included with
your post.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:28:35 -0400, (robert hann)
wrote:

Thanx for your response to my post. Your advice is well taken. I am
puzzeled, though, by one thing you said. Why would I want to laquer
over shellac? Please advise. Robert

dadiOH

nospambob wrote:
It would be helpful if text you are referring to was included with
your post.

You want me to include his HTML?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Jois

"dadiOH" wrote in message
nospambob wrote:
It would be helpful if text you are referring to was included with
your post.

You want me to include his HTML?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

You could set your own reader to read all newsgroups in plain text.

Josie

nospambob

NO, aimed at his post.

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:44:10 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

nospambob wrote:
It would be helpful if text you are referring to was included with
your post.

You want me to include his HTML?

dadiOH

nospambob wrote:
It would be helpful if text you are referring to was included with
your post.

You want me to include his HTML?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

You could set your own reader to read all newsgroups in plain text.

Nope, OE 5.5 doesn't have that and I have no desire to upgrade. Better
that the OP learn that posting in HTML - and/or including attachments -
is a no-no in non-binary groups such as this.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Veneer plaster finish textures Wayne Whitney Home Repair 0 February 1st 05 10:50 PM
Textured finish for sub-bass cabinet Neil Jowsey UK diy 5 July 20th 04 07:23 PM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Norm's mahagany finish Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 71 February 26th 04 08:53 PM