eganders

Default Buck Rogers' Millers Falls no 714

I have a Millers Falls no. 714 that is in excellent shape. I have been
using it for a couple of years off and on. It was designed for general
carpentry, but it appears to have a lot of value in the collector's
market.

http://www.public.coe.edu/~rroeder/main/bench/buckr.htm

http://www.toolsrules.com/PLANES.htm
(see 4th item down)

Mine is a type 1. There is one of the handle screws missing, but
otherwise it looks like it could have been bought last week.

I often wonder if I should sell it and get a Lie Nielson equivelent and
possibly still have money left over for some other tools. Although it
works very well, it was designed for carpentry (has a fairly wide fixed
throat).

Does anyone know what the range of prices are for this plane? The
$1,500 price seems like it would be at the top end.

Eric

Chris

"eganders" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

WOW $1500, this guy in not shy is he? Never really heard Millers Falls
going near that much. I am by far no expert in the matter. But most of the
Millers Falls go for pretty cheap around the local flea markets (around the
Millers Falls area). I might need to take a second look next time.

Worth mentioning, 1949 was pretty much at the height of their production
level. WWII had them up to 4000 workers, and I am sure that somewhat
continued for a few years after that.

Always worth a shot. Try putting it up on Ebay, with a reserve, and see
what you get. A quick scan of ebay shows Millers Falls plane not going for
over $72 in the past 90 days. You do of course have a somewhat unique one,
so it might draw in a lot more. Who knows?

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

eganders

Ebay is an idea. I need to give it some thought because it belonged to
a friend, but I need to be practical also because I am a user, not a
collector.

no(SPAM)vasys

eganders wrote:
[...]

My wife picked up a type 1 # 714 for me about a year ago at a flea
market. It required only some minor cleaning, a tune up and is in
almost perfect shape (a few scratches). It didn't come with the box.
She paid $15.00 for it. Do you suppose the box is worth $1,485?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Toller

My son read that a toy that he had, oddly enough in the unopened box, was
worth $2,000. I told him he was crazy, but put it up on ebay anyhow. It
did not get any bids with a $4 minimum.

I expect that is about the same as the plane being worth $1,500.

Robin Lee

snip

Does anyone know what the range of prices are for this plane? The
$1,500 price seems like it would be at the top end.

Eric

Hi Eric -

They regularly go for about 200-400....

Cheers -

Rob

Chris wrote:
"eganders" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Millers Falls no. 714 that is in excellent shape. I have been
using it for a couple of years off and on. It was designed for general
carpentry, but it appears to have a lot of value in the collector's
market.

WOW $1500, this guy in not shy is he? Never really heard Millers Falls
going near that much. I am by far no expert in the matter. But most of the
Millers Falls go for pretty cheap around the local flea markets (around the
Millers Falls area). I might need to take a second look next time.

The 709 smoother and the 714 jack were part of Millers Falls "Buck
Rogers" line of hand tools. The nickname is derived from the
red plastic and shiny chrome used to make them look fancy and
modern. That style didn't really catch on which is why they
are uncommon and collectible. Look for some pictures.

Other tools in that line include an eggbeater drill, a
breast drill (I think) and a brace. It appears from the
sales brochures I have found online that there were a lot
of tools with that same styling, the planes seem to command
the highest prices.

Always worth a shot. Try putting it up on Ebay, with a reserve, and see
what you get. A quick scan of ebay shows Millers Falls plane not going for
over $72 in the past 90 days. You do of course have a somewhat unique one,
so it might draw in a lot more. Who knows?

Yes, as far as colectors go, the MF 7xx planes are not in the same
class as other MF planes.

--

FF