Chris

"eganders" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Millers Falls no. 714 that is in excellent shape. I have been
using it for a couple of years off and on. It was designed for general
carpentry, but it appears to have a lot of value in the collector's
market.

http://www.public.coe.edu/~rroeder/main/bench/buckr.htm

http://www.toolsrules.com/PLANES.htm
(see 4th item down)

Mine is a type 1. There is one of the handle screws missing, but
otherwise it looks like it could have been bought last week.

I often wonder if I should sell it and get a Lie Nielson equivelent and
possibly still have money left over for some other tools. Although it
works very well, it was designed for carpentry (has a fairly wide fixed
throat).

Does anyone know what the range of prices are for this plane? The
$1,500 price seems like it would be at the top end.

Eric

WOW $1500, this guy in not shy is he? Never really heard Millers Falls
going near that much. I am by far no expert in the matter. But most of the
Millers Falls go for pretty cheap around the local flea markets (around the
Millers Falls area). I might need to take a second look next time.

Worth mentioning, 1949 was pretty much at the height of their production
level. WWII had them up to 4000 workers, and I am sure that somewhat
continued for a few years after that.

Always worth a shot. Try putting it up on Ebay, with a reserve, and see
what you get. A quick scan of ebay shows Millers Falls plane not going for
over $72 in the past 90 days. You do of course have a somewhat unique one,
so it might draw in a lot more. Who knows?

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.