Andy McArdle

Default Self-loading buck horse... is this design feasible?

In a recent chat I was given the idea for a simple "self-loading" bucking
horse. I use a small, ground-level saw buck at the coop and want like to
bring it up to a good working height but I don't want to risk my health
doing it, so I would appreciate any feedback on this idea...

I've posted a quick'n'nasty .BMP sketch in ABPW, it's basically a modified
buck horse. The red lines are chains... I wasn't about to try & draw 'em!
The front legs (ie. on the working side of the horse) are hinged at the top
so they'll fold outwards, allowing the horse to lie on it's face.

My idea is to lie it down, with the winching beam & chains run out in the
same direction the legs fold out and then roll the log over the winch-beam
chains/front legs to butt up into the saw buck face. The
Winching-beam/chains would then be wrapped over the log and connected to a
winch (what else? G) mounted on the front of the ute bed which'd pull the
whole thing up to a standing position. Hopefully the dual chains'd hold the
log in place and once upright the legs'd be locked with other chains &
D-shackles to the opposite legs for a stable platform.

The winch'd then be disconnected and the winch-block dropped out of the way
to work. [fingers Xed]

I can foresee a couple of problems, tThe rear legs'd probably have to be
pinned somehow to stop the whole thing from simply sliding along and the
whole winch-beam assembly would have to be located in such a way as to not
interfere with the work... maybe working from the "rear" face instead? But
these are minor details.

What I want to know is, has anyone else tried something like this? Any
possibly dangerous flaws in the plan?

/Any/ helpful criticisms will be appreciated...

--
- Andy
Carpenters are just plane folks.

Kevin Miller

Tom Nie wrote:
Andy,

Where's ABPW?

Same place as rec.crafts.woodturning, just a different tree. Stands for:

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb