SwampBug

Default sample dovetail work

pic at ABPW.

This is a sample after initial setup of my PC5116 Omnijig Dovetail =
machine. I got a million questions, I'd like to ask you all. The setup =
dimensions per PC Omnijig manual resulted in non mating pins and tails. =
The bit in use is a Freud 14degree 1/2" dovetail bit. This is called out =
in the manual. After tweaking the setup so as to get parts that actually =
fit this is what I wound up with. The bit distance from the router base =
was adjusted until a fit was achieved. The boards are 3/4" thick stock =
precisely. The pins/tails are only 5/16" in length. Is this as it should =
be? I see no way to change this dimension and still produce parts that =
fit. From all I read and see, the pins and tails are rather short for a =
1/2" dovetail joint.=20

--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

BillyBob

"SwampBug" wrote in message
pic at ABPW.

I haven't seen it yet.

Bob

BillyBob

"SwampBug" wrote in message
pic at ABPW.

This is a sample after initial setup of my PC5116 Omnijig Dovetail machine.
I got a million questions, I'd like to ask you all. The setup dimensions per
PC Omnijig manual resulted in non mating pins and tails. The bit in use is a
Freud 14degree 1/2" dovetail bit. This is called out in the manual. After
tweaking the setup so as to get parts that actually fit this is what I wound
up with. The bit distance from the router base was adjusted until a fit was
achieved. The boards are 3/4" thick stock precisely. The pins/tails are only
5/16" in length. Is this as it should be? I see no way to change this
dimension and still produce parts that fit. From all I read and see, the
pins and tails are rather short for a 1/2" dovetail joint.

===========

I downloaded the 5116 manual to see if I could find what you are talking
about. The only reference to actual stock thickness that I find is on page
14, where it says '1/2" dovetails for use with 1/2" thick stock'.

I think you are trying to use the wrong bit for 3/4" stock. I have an incra
router fence which has not constraints with stock thickness other than the
capabilities of the bit itself. The incra manual lists all kinds of
variations for a 1/2" 14 degree bit and none of them is over 1/2" thick
stock.

Bob

SwampBug

i haven't seen it either but i re-posted it. . .hope it gets there this =
time.

--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"BillyBob" wrote in message =
ink.net...

"SwampBug" wrote in message
pic at ABPW.

I haven't seen it yet.

Bob

SwampBug

The joint I was referring to was a half-blind dovetail, the reference =
you allude to is for the thru dovetail template procedure with which you =
obviously can't use material thicker that your bit depth. I did find a =
statement , or rather complaint, that the 14degree bits make a lest than =
appealing depth dovetail. I just expected the bit called out to make a =
1/2" depth cut. I guess it was an unreasonable expectation. Thanks for =
your input.

--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"BillyBob" wrote in message =
nk.net...

"SwampBug" wrote in message
[...]

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I downloaded the 5116 manual to see if I could find what you are talking
about. The only reference to actual stock thickness that I find is on =
page
14, where it says '1/2" dovetails for use with 1/2" thick stock'.

I think you are trying to use the wrong bit for 3/4" stock. I have an =
incra
router fence which has not constraints with stock thickness other than =
the
capabilities of the bit itself. The incra manual lists all kinds of
variations for a 1/2" 14 degree bit and none of them is over 1/2" thick
stock.

Bob

robo hippy

I have an older PC dove tail jig, and with half blind joints, the pins
are 3/8 inch long. This works fine with 1/2 inch thick sides and back,
and 3/4 inch thick face. It has been a long time (13 years) since I got
it, and remember thinking that the manual that came with it was poor.
Get a Whiteside bit, it will last about 4 times longer than the Freud.
robo hippy

SwampBug

Thanks for the advise. I have three Whiteside 14deg, 1/2" dovetail bite, =
1/2" shank on the way. I realized the little 1/4" shank Freud wasn't =
gonna make it. My pic at ABPW still has not posted even after two =
attempts. I dunno what's going on there.

--=20
SwampBug

oups.com...