SwampBug

The joint I was referring to was a half-blind dovetail, the reference =
you allude to is for the thru dovetail template procedure with which you =
obviously can't use material thicker that your bit depth. I did find a =
statement , or rather complaint, that the 14degree bits make a lest than =
appealing depth dovetail. I just expected the bit called out to make a =
1/2" depth cut. I guess it was an unreasonable expectation. Thanks for =
your input.

--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"BillyBob" wrote in message =
nk.net...

"SwampBug" wrote in message
pic at ABPW.

This is a sample after initial setup of my PC5116 Omnijig Dovetail =
machine.
I got a million questions, I'd like to ask you all. The setup dimensions =
per
PC Omnijig manual resulted in non mating pins and tails. The bit in use =
is a
Freud 14degree 1/2" dovetail bit. This is called out in the manual. =
After
tweaking the setup so as to get parts that actually fit this is what I =
wound
up with. The bit distance from the router base was adjusted until a fit =
was
achieved. The boards are 3/4" thick stock precisely. The pins/tails are =
only
5/16" in length. Is this as it should be? I see no way to change this
dimension and still produce parts that fit. From all I read and see, the
pins and tails are rather short for a 1/2" dovetail joint.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I downloaded the 5116 manual to see if I could find what you are talking
about. The only reference to actual stock thickness that I find is on =
page
14, where it says '1/2" dovetails for use with 1/2" thick stock'.

I think you are trying to use the wrong bit for 3/4" stock. I have an =
incra
router fence which has not constraints with stock thickness other than =
the
capabilities of the bit itself. The incra manual lists all kinds of
variations for a 1/2" 14 degree bit and none of them is over 1/2" thick
stock.

Bob