Toller

Default ryobi 1600 sander

I have googled and found out it is a POS compared to the Performax. Okay,
but I can't afford a Performax.

If I spend the time to set it up, does it actually work; or is it that
bad...?
Is sand paper still available for it, or can something else substitute?

I probably only need it once in a while, but when I need it...

dadiOH

Toller wrote:
Is sand paper still available for it, or can something else
substitute?

You don't use sand *paper*, you use sand cloth. All you need is long
rolls, cut your own.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Herb Robinson

I had the Ryobi and just had a heap of trouble changing the paper. About
six months ago I bought a used Performax and sold the Ryobi. I must say the
problem of changing the paper has been resolved, but for operation, actually
prefer the Ryobi. With the Performax I have to apply a bit of pressure when
feeding the work through -- didn't have to do this with the Ryobi. Also,
the Ryobi had a rubber mat where the Performax uses a sandpaper type --
believe the rubber is much better -- provides a better grip. It uses the
same roll the Performax does, but as stated in another post, you are MUCH
better off getting a large roll and cutting your own strips.
"Toller" wrote in message
I have googled and found out it is a POS compared to the Performax. Okay,
but I can't afford a Performax.

If I spend the time to set it up, does it actually work; or is it that
bad...?
Is sand paper still available for it, or can something else substitute?

I probably only need it once in a while, but when I need it...

dadiOH

Herb Robinson wrote:

With the Performax I have to
apply a bit of pressure when feeding the work through

Pressure where and on what?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Herb Robinson

Just a tad of pressure on the end that is going under the roller. I stated
in my earlier post, the Ryobi has a rubber feed mat which appears to provide
a better grip. If I don't provide that extra bit of "push", the work will
not continue to feed and the sanding drum causes a "dip" in the piece being
sanded.

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Herb Robinson wrote:

With the Performax I have to
apply a bit of pressure when feeding the work through

Pressure where and on what?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

Herb Robinson wrote:
Just a tad of pressure on the end that is going under the roller. I
stated in my earlier post, the Ryobi has a rubber feed mat which
appears to provide a better grip. If I don't provide that extra bit
of "push", the work will not continue to feed and the sanding drum
causes a "dip" in the piece being sanded.

It shouldn't do that - and won't - if set up properly. Some things to
check

1. Depth of cut too deep... how much can be taken off in one bite
depends on several things - grit, wood density, wood width, feed speed.
For me, normal is about 50% feed speed, 1/64 - 1/48 with #80 or finer;
up to 1/32 with #40 and a hard wood like oak or hickory, up to 1/16
with a softer wood like butternut or walnut.

2. Pressure roller height and/or tension is incorrect.

3. Feed belt is worn

4. Longish piece that is hanging down a bit so front edge is up.
Extending the table is a *real* help.

#1 & #2 are the most likely.

--
dadiOH