Cyrille de Brébisson

Default Rare earth magnets for holding stuff on table and band saw

hello,

I was wondering how effective are rare earth magnets to hold stuff on table
saw such as feather boards and the like. and what size of magnets to use?

thanks, cyrille

Leon

"Cyrille de Brébisson" wrote in message
hello,

I was wondering how effective are rare earth magnets to hold stuff on
table saw such as feather boards and the like. and what size of magnets to
use?

thanks, cyrille

They work well if attached properly. The trouble though is that they still
slide along the surface quite easily.

Lawrence L'Hote

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

"Cyrille de Brébisson" wrote in message
hello,

I was wondering how effective are rare earth magnets to hold stuff on
table saw such as feather boards and the like. and what size of magnets
to use?

thanks, cyrille

They work well if attached properly. The trouble though is that they
still slide along the surface quite easily.

I put some heavy duty double sided tape on the magnet and it doesn't slide.
FWIW I scrounge old microwave ovens and get out the two donut magnets that
are in the magnetron unit.. these magnets have uses all over the shop.

larry

--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com

I use them a lot, the biggest I can get from Lee Valley with the
non-skid pads. Although I built a featherboard and used 6 of the BIG
magnets, my uses more common are for holding things like push sticks
to the side or front of the machine for easy grasp, and use the miter
slots for most other things, espeically feather boards.

John

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:45:25 GMT, "Cyrille de Brébisson"
wrote:

hello,

I was wondering how effective are rare earth magnets to hold stuff on table
saw such as feather boards and the like. and what size of magnets to use?

thanks, cyrille

Owen Lawrence

I was wondering how effective are rare earth magnets to hold stuff on
table saw such as feather boards and the like. and what size of magnets
to use?

thanks, cyrille

They work well if attached properly. The trouble though is that they
still slide along the surface quite easily.

I put some heavy duty double sided tape on the magnet and it doesn't
slide. FWIW I scrounge old microwave ovens and get out the two donut
magnets that are in the magnetron unit.. these magnets have uses all over
the shop.

You can also get super magnets out of old hard disk drives. (You can get
them out of new hard disk drives, too, but there are better sources than
that.)

- Owen -

Leon

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message

You can also get super magnets out of old hard disk drives. (You can get
them out of new hard disk drives, too, but there are better sources than
that.)

I have one of those magnets... I think rare earth magnets may be 10 time
stronger.

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

I have one of those magnets... I think rare earth magnets may be 10 time
stronger.

I tend to agree ... especially every time one of those em's jumps off my
Kreg drawer slide jig onto any nearby tool.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05