TomWoodman

Default What the heck does BORG stand for, anyway? :)

Leon

"TomWoodman" wrote in message

If you look it up in the dictionary you find....

Technology
Borg
A type of cyborg in Star Trek that devours everything in its path. Companies
that dominate their field are called Borgs, and Borging is the verb. See
cyborg.

'Borg' is just short for 'Cyborg' I believe, at least in the context of
Star Trek...

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
TomWoodman wrote:

A) the alien life-form in Star Trek: The Next Generation
that travels in those big cubical-shaped ships,
"Resistance is futile, prepare to be assimilated".

B) a weak pun on the above, and acronym for "Big Orange Retail Giant",
originally a reference specifically to Home Depot, now generalized to
any of the 'superstore' outlets -- e.g.e 'the blue BORG', meaning Lowes.

Jim

"TomWoodman" wrote in message

Home Depot

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Two BORGs were sitting in a room.

The first BORG says, "I was just wondering - Why is it that we never laugh?"

The second BORG says, "Laughter is irrelevant"

The first BORG says, "But why don't we laugh? Why don't we find anything
funny?"

The second BORG says, "Desist with this pattern!"

The first BORG says, "But we never laugh. Never! Shouldn't we find
something funny?"

The second BORG says, "Stop this discussion or you will be re-assimilated!"

The first BORG says, "But laughter .. there's nothing wrong with ---"

The second BORG suddenly reaches out, yanks the head off the first BORG
and says, "Re-assimilating! Re-assimilating!"

A third BORG walks into the room and says, "What's going on here?"

The second BORG says, "I was just wondering - Why is it that we never
laugh?"

WillR

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
Two BORGs were sitting in a room.
=20
The first BORG says, "I was just wondering - Why is it that we never=20
laugh?"
=20
The second BORG says, "Laughter is irrelevant"
=20
The first BORG says, "But why don't we laugh? Why don't we find anythin=

g=20
funny?"
=20
The second BORG says, "Desist with this pattern!"
=20
The first BORG says, "But we never laugh. Never! Shouldn't we find=20
something funny?"
=20
The second BORG says, "Stop this discussion or you will be re-assimilat=

ed!"
=20
The first BORG says, "But laughter .. there's nothing wrong with ---"
=20
The second BORG suddenly reaches out, yanks the head off the first BORG=

=20
and says, "Re-assimilating! Re-assimilating!"
=20
A third BORG walks into the room and says, "What's going on here?"
=20
The second BORG says, "I was just wondering - Why is it that we never=20
laugh?"
=20
=20
=20
=20
TomWoodman wrote:
=20

A fine example of recursion -- no?

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Jennifer Juniper

My favorite is:

"Oh bother," said the BORG, "we've assimilated Pooh."

Jen

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message ...
[...]

John Thomas

WillR wrote in news:6U1Re.2862$884.446419
@news20.bellglobal.com:

A fine example of recursion -- no?

Heh. That was the first thing I though of, too.

Regards,
JT

Borg? wch Woodworking 24 February 27th 05 12:35 AM
$49 Ryobi OS sander at the Borg John Woodworking 23 January 28th 05 04:43 AM
Porter Cable 9690LR Router Sale @ the BORG Joseph Smith Woodworking 11 November 13th 04 03:31 AM
Porter Cable Router Gloat at the BORG! A.I. Woodworking 14 September 15th 03 11:21 PM
Why I hate the Borg Phil Crow Woodworking 39 July 30th 03 06:34 PM