mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default Router table - open or closed front?

Some books on routers caution the reader NOT to close in the router
(with a door in the front), but rather to keep it open for purposes of
preventing the router from overheating.

And some books lay out plans for router tables WITH the front closed.

Of course, authors on both sides of this debate are 'experts' in the
field. And hence, this leaves me to question which direction to take.

Closing the router in allows for better dust control (with a nicely
positioned dust port under the table - in addition, of course, to the
dust port above the table). I would assume that closing it in also
helps cut down the noise level.

Could I hear opinions on this? I'm leaning towards closing it in, if
not just to keep generic dust and junk off the router.

Jack

Toller

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message ...
Some books on routers caution the reader NOT to close in the router (with
a door in the front), but rather to keep it open for purposes of
preventing the router from overheating.

And some books lay out plans for router tables WITH the front closed.

Of course, authors on both sides of this debate are 'experts' in the
field. And hence, this leaves me to question which direction to take.

Closing the router in allows for better dust control (with a nicely
positioned dust port under the table - in addition, of course, to the dust
port above the table). I would assume that closing it in also helps cut
down the noise level.

Could I hear opinions on this? I'm leaning towards closing it in, if not
just to keep generic dust and junk off the router.

Mine is close, and I wouldn't have it anyother way. My router has never
been the slightest bit warm.
Presumably there is enough airflow from the DC to cool anything.

David

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

Some books on routers caution the reader NOT to close in the router
(with a door in the front), but rather to keep it open for purposes of
preventing the router from overheating.

And some books lay out plans for router tables WITH the front closed.

Of course, authors on both sides of this debate are 'experts' in the
field. And hence, this leaves me to question which direction to take.

Closing the router in allows for better dust control (with a nicely
positioned dust port under the table - in addition, of course, to the
dust port above the table). I would assume that closing it in also
helps cut down the noise level.

Could I hear opinions on this? I'm leaning towards closing it in, if
not just to keep generic dust and junk off the router.

Jack

overheating? NONSENSE! I have a totally enclosed router with a 7518
that runs for ages without overheating. The router table base has a
fully enclosed DC chamber to suck the woodchips away from the routing
operation. plenty of air moves through the DC, my friend. and all of
it is coming through the router. You are perceiving a problem where
none exists. the benefit of enclosing the router is it makes it MUCH
QUIETER.

I wouldn't enclose the router and then fail to provide DC capability!!

Dave
Pat Barber

Proper dust collection will provide plenty of
"air flow" and the router is in no danger.

After you clean up after a long session on a table
without a base, you will very quickly appreciate a
closed in table.

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

Some books on routers caution the reader NOT to close in the router
(with a door in the front), but rather to keep it open for purposes of
preventing the router from overheating.

HMFIC- 1369

The Correct Answer is: Dependant on the Owner.

If your one lazy ass who never cleans up the shop and is to lazy to turn on
the DC, Get an open table!
If your attentive and connect your DC and keep your shop clean, Get the
enclosed door type.

[...]

DJ Delorie

Mine is closed, with DC. *Lots* quieter, and I just vacuum out the
bin once in a while.

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Well, I wasn't really perceiving anything. I don't have that much
imagination! I was just repeating what I read in some books.

For example, in Bill Hylton's "Woodworking with the Router", page 69, he
says:

"The compartment housing the router is open to the front.
A door on it would imit access to the router for those
adjustments that always have to be made. And it would
restrict the air circulation that's so important to
router cooling."

HOWEVER ... based on the overwhelming majority opinion here, I'll go
with a closed housing. I do intend on having the DC on whenever the
router is being used.

Thanks!

Jack

David wrote:

[...]

Chris

[...]

I would imagine that a closed system with a DC would create a cooler router.
Compare that to now air flow in a closed system.

Where would you rather be? In a closed room hotter than heck, or with a
breeze.

Chris

David

David wrote:

[...]

who needs to make adjustments inside? the only time I open the access
door (other than to clean out the chamber of wood chips) is to change
speeds. Most of the time I leave it alone (on speed "2" or "3").
Router bit changes are done topside. I strongly suggest you NOT
purchase a unit that requires fiddling underneath the tabletop except
for speed changes. If you do lots of routing, you find out what I mean
in a hurry!

Dave

David

David wrote:

[...]

cool. the Jessem is quality stuff.

dave
CW

So, you've perfected that anti-gravity thing?

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

on a table
without a base,

George E. Cawthon

Chris wrote:
[...]

Well, if you had an attached part spinning at
20,000 rpm, you probably wouldn't care whether
there was a breeze or not.

router table openings? CNT Woodworking 19 May 29th 05 02:17 PM
router table repost Art Ransom Woodworking 1 March 19th 05 03:44 PM
Router table Art Ransom Woodworking 2 March 18th 05 11:10 PM
Plunge or non-plunge router better under table? LRod Woodworking 31 June 28th 04 10:23 PM
Router Table Top Questions Max Mahanke Woodworking 1 May 10th 04 07:12 PM