David

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

Well, I wasn't really perceiving anything. I don't have that much
imagination! I was just repeating what I read in some books.

For example, in Bill Hylton's "Woodworking with the Router", page 69, he
says:

"The compartment housing the router is open to the front.
A door on it would imit access to the router for those
adjustments that always have to be made. And it would
restrict the air circulation that's so important to
router cooling."

HOWEVER ... based on the overwhelming majority opinion here, I'll go
with a closed housing. I do intend on having the DC on whenever the
router is being used.

Thanks!

Jack

David wrote:

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

Some books on routers caution the reader NOT to close in the router
(with a door in the front), but rather to keep it open for purposes
of preventing the router from overheating.

And some books lay out plans for router tables WITH the front closed.

Of course, authors on both sides of this debate are 'experts' in the
field. And hence, this leaves me to question which direction to take.

Closing the router in allows for better dust control (with a nicely
positioned dust port under the table - in addition, of course, to the
dust port above the table). I would assume that closing it in also
helps cut down the noise level.

Could I hear opinions on this? I'm leaning towards closing it in, if
not just to keep generic dust and junk off the router.

Jack

overheating? NONSENSE! I have a totally enclosed router with a 7518
that runs for ages without overheating. The router table base has a
fully enclosed DC chamber to suck the woodchips away from the routing
operation. plenty of air moves through the DC, my friend. and all of
it is coming through the router. You are perceiving a problem where
none exists. the benefit of enclosing the router is it makes it MUCH
QUIETER.

I wouldn't enclose the router and then fail to provide DC capability!!

Dave

who needs to make adjustments inside? the only time I open the access
door (other than to clean out the chamber of wood chips) is to change
speeds. Most of the time I leave it alone (on speed "2" or "3").
Router bit changes are done topside. I strongly suggest you NOT
purchase a unit that requires fiddling underneath the tabletop except
for speed changes. If you do lots of routing, you find out what I mean
in a hurry!

Dave