mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default Miter guide (gauge) for router table

I'll be building a router table - mostly a hybrid of several designs
I've looked at. Some people advise against putting in a miter track,
suggesting that one use a router sled instead.

I figure I can do both. Apparently, one can spend a LOT on a miter
gauge. It seems to make sense not to chince out in this area, but
spending over a hundred bucks just for the miter gauge seems a bit too
much for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations regarding miter
gauges for a home-built router table?

Thanks!

Jack

Woody

I like sleds a lot more than miter gauges, but my sled rides in the track.
I was going to say that you need a track for featherboards, but they would
do just as well with just screw holes. I am building a new router table,
and your question has given me something to think about; thanks.

Mike O.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:46:29 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

I figure I can do both. Apparently, one can spend a LOT on a miter
gauge. It seems to make sense not to chince out in this area, but
spending over a hundred bucks just for the miter gauge seems a bit too
much for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations regarding miter
gauges for a home-built router table?

Depending on your budget there are always used original equipment
gauges on Ebay pretty cheap. Another thought is the low end Incra v27
which can be had for about $55 at woodpeck.com. Even though the Incra
has it's limitations, I think it's still better than most original
equipment gauges.

Mike O.

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:
I'll be building a router table - mostly a hybrid of several designs
I've looked at. Some people advise against putting in a miter track,
suggesting that one use a router sled instead.

I figure I can do both. Apparently, one can spend a LOT on a miter
gauge. It seems to make sense not to chince out in this area, but
spending over a hundred bucks just for the miter gauge seems a bit too
much for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations regarding miter
gauges for a home-built router table?

Never gave it a second thought. I always assumed everybody else in
the world just used the same miter guage as their tablesaw.

If your miter guage is the el-cheapo one that came with the tablesaw
(and you hate it) then make the RT slot compatible with your TS, and
upgrade your TS miter gauge (twofer)

Of course, if you are one of those rare individuals that can use both
tools at the same time, then my suggestion won't be that valuable :-)

Thanks!

Jack

Leon

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message ...
I'll be building a router table - mostly a hybrid of several designs I've
looked at. Some people advise against putting in a miter track, suggesting
that one use a router sled instead.

I figure I can do both. Apparently, one can spend a LOT on a miter gauge.
It seems to make sense not to chince out in this area, but spending over a
hundred bucks just for the miter gauge seems a bit too much for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations regarding miter gauges
for a home-built router table?

I would put the track in for feather boards but don't bother with the miter
gauge. The set up time will bore you quickly. I use a square piece of 3/4"
thick plywood that is guided by the FENCE not the slot.

Toller

I would put the track in for feather boards but don't bother with the
miter
gauge. The set up time will bore you quickly. I use a square piece of
3/4" thick plywood that is guided by the FENCE not the slot.

I can see that would work much of the time, but sometimes wouldn't the bit
hit the plywood?

MikeG

"Toller" wrote in message

I would put the track in for feather boards but don't bother with the
miter
gauge. The set up time will bore you quickly. I use a square piece of
3/4" thick plywood that is guided by the FENCE not the slot.

I can see that would work much of the time, but sometimes wouldn't the bit
hit the plywood?

Think of it as a backerboard to prevent tearout

Leon

"Toller" wrote in message

I would put the track in for feather boards but don't bother with the
miter
gauge. The set up time will bore you quickly. I use a square piece of
3/4" thick plywood that is guided by the FENCE not the slot.

I can see that would work much of the time, but sometimes wouldn't the bit
hit the plywood?

Absolutely... You want that. Think Zero clearance on the back side of the
cut and less tear out on the back side of the cut. When done rip 1" off
that side of the plywood and it is brand new again. I have done hundreds of
end cuts on the rails of cabinet doors this way.

David

David wrote:

Toller wrote:

I would put the track in for feather boards but don't bother with the
miter
gauge. The set up time will bore you quickly. I use a square piece
of 3/4" thick plywood that is guided by the FENCE not the slot.

I can see that would work much of the time, but sometimes wouldn't the
bit hit the plywood?

Yup.

You could use a piece of poplar instead if you are concerned about
dulling your bits. I don't think it's all that big a deal, to tell you
the truth but if you are worried about it, don't use laminated products
to push the workpieces as they double as a backer board to prevent
tear-out. You must cut into the backer to complete the cut on the
workpiece.

Dave