Keith Hanlan

Default Should I rip my rough lumber before stickering it?

My usual method of working from rough lumber is as follows:
1. Find some irresitable bargain and
buy as much as I think SMWBO will allow.
2. Seal the ends.
3. Sticker the planks in my basement workshop.
4. Let a minimum of two weeks elapse.
5. Rip oversize and do a first pass dressing to
somewhere around 1/8" to 1/4" larger than the
final dimensions.
6. Sticker again and let a minimum of a few days
pass to let the relieved stresses sort themselves
out.
7. Finish dressing to the final dimensions and get
to work.

Now, my question is: if I know that a 12" plank of,
say, 8/4 hard maple, is destined to be ripped into
2 3/4" strips, would it be better to rip it as soon
as I bring it home?

Thanks for your opinions.
Keith
Ottawa, Canada

bridger

it'll depend on the board, of course. the way you're doing it is the
safe way. you might want to get a moisture meter if you have doubts
about your supplier, but if they have been selling you a consistent
product and you trust them I'd say keep on as you are.

if you're buying green lumber it's a different game altogether.

George

"Keith Hanlan" wrote in message
oups.com...
My usual method of working from rough lumber is as follows:
1. Find some irresitable bargain and
buy as much as I think SMWBO will allow.

Get enough for yours and her project, plus 25% for "cutting waste."

2. Seal the ends.

Waste of time and money unless it came off the stump yesterday.

3. Sticker the planks in my basement workshop.
4. Let a minimum of two weeks elapse.

Good. FPL says 1% per week adjustment on 4/4 planks, FWIW. Now get a
hygrometer.

5. Rip oversize and do a first pass dressing to
somewhere around 1/8" to 1/4" larger than the
final dimensions.
6. Sticker again and let a minimum of a few days
pass to let the relieved stresses sort themselves
out.

Probably an exercise in "feel good." While it's good advice to sticker and
wait on resaws, where you've had radical surgery, the symmetry of dressing
the surfaces means you're pretty much at the same stress level at which you
began.

7. Finish dressing to the final dimensions and get
to work.

Now, my question is: if I know that a 12" plank of,
say, 8/4 hard maple, is destined to be ripped into
2 3/4" strips, would it be better to rip it as soon
as I bring it home?

My answer to 5&6 is my take on it. If you've had good access to air on all
sides of the board , leave it in the entire. Some folks say that prepared
stock should never be left unglued or restrained once it's processed. Turns
out that way, mostly, at my house, but it's nothing set in stone.

Richard Cranium

Excuse my ignorance but what is the definition of sticker in this
context?

Thanks,R.C.

On 19 Aug 2005 16:41:14 -0700, "Keith Hanlan"
wrote:

3. Sticker the planks

Duane Bozarth

Richard Cranium wrote:

...top posting repaired...

On 19 Aug 2005 16:41:14 -0700, "Keith Hanlan"
wrote:

3. Sticker the planks

Excuse my ignorance but what is the definition of sticker in this
context?

Thanks,R.C.

Placing small "sticks" between layers when stacking lumber for air
circulation...

bridger

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/forestry/g60.htm