Phil

Default Cost of Heating oil; Cost of lumber?

Just asking:

If the cost of Heating this winter goes up like the cost of Gas,

Should we be worried about cost of lumber due to increase in demand for
firewood?

And just how secure is my wood stash I have in the Garage? Should I be
looking for a better lock on the garage door?

There is talk that heating oil could go up a $1.00 per gallon, on top of the
high prices last winter. A couple of cords of wood is beginning to look
cheap.

Phil

Morris Dovey

Phil (in ) said:

| Just asking:
|
| If the cost of Heating this winter goes up like the cost of Gas,
|
| Should we be worried about cost of lumber due to increase in demand
| for firewood?

Not until people start buying lumber to put in their furnaces.

| And just how secure is my wood stash I have in the Garage? Should
| I be looking for a better lock on the garage door?

Depends on the wood. If you've stashed 2000BF of rosewood, then you'll
probably want /two/ locks.

| There is talk that heating oil could go up a $1.00 per gallon, on
| top of the high prices last winter. A couple of cords of wood is
| beginning to look cheap.

Yup - cut and split it yourself and it'll warm you twice.

It's probably worth pointing out that the prices of wind and sunshine
haven't changed...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Dave Balderstone

In article , Phil phil@one
wrote:

Should we be worried about cost of lumber due to increase in demand for
firewood?

Be more worried about the cost of lumber and firewood due to the
increased cost for the fuel to cut and transport the stuff.

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Edwin Pawlowski

"Phil" no spam phil@one two three four five.com wrote in message

There is talk that heating oil could go up a $1.00 per gallon, on top of
the high prices last winter. A couple of cords of wood is beginning to
look cheap.

Phil

Talk? My oil contract this year is 93¢ more that last year. Current prices
in CT/MA are about $2.20.

Unless you cut your own wood, the cordwood prices tend to follow close
behind the oil prices.

George

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Phil" no spam phil@one two three four five.com wrote in message

There is talk that heating oil could go up a $1.00 per gallon, on top of
the high prices last winter. A couple of cords of wood is beginning to
look cheap.

Talk? My oil contract this year is 93¢ more that last year. Current
prices in CT/MA are about $2.20.

Unless you cut your own wood, the cordwood prices tend to follow close
behind the oil prices.

Ain't that the truth! Thing is, the price of hardwood pulp at the mill has
remained the same. Jobbers are just hooking us.

Duane Bozarth

George wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Phil" no spam phil@one two three four five.com wrote in message

There is talk that heating oil could go up a $1.00 per gallon, on top of
the high prices last winter. A couple of cords of wood is beginning to
look cheap.

Talk? My oil contract this year is 93¢ more that last year. Current
prices in CT/MA are about $2.20.

Unless you cut your own wood, the cordwood prices tend to follow close
behind the oil prices.

Ain't that the truth! Thing is, the price of hardwood pulp at the mill has
remained the same. Jobbers are just hooking us.

True of virtually all commodity markets...
Patriarch

"George" George@least wrote in :

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Phil" no spam phil@one two three four five.com wrote in message

There is talk that heating oil could go up a $1.00 per gallon, on
top of the high prices last winter. A couple of cords of wood is
beginning to look cheap.

Talk? My oil contract this year is 93¢ more that last year. Current
prices in CT/MA are about $2.20.

Unless you cut your own wood, the cordwood prices tend to follow
close behind the oil prices.

Ain't that the truth! Thing is, the price of hardwood pulp at the
mill has remained the same. Jobbers are just hooking us.

Economists will describe this as a demand pull for alternate, or substitute
goods. Economists are a dour lot.

Buy a good chain saw and a used pickup truck. Oh, and a lathe.

Patriarch,
who once upon a time...

George

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...

Buy a good chain saw and a used pickup truck. Oh, and a lathe.

The price is worth not skidding wood on my place, that's why I'm still
buying, just a bit cheesed at the gouging.

This hauler brings, at my request, two or three cords of large stuff as
lathe fodder. Paid the whole ten cords and more in turnings just last
Saturday.

Brian Elfert

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:

Unless you cut your own wood, the cordwood prices tend to follow close
behind the oil prices.

Are the firewood folks really burning that much fuel to cut and haul
firewood, or is it all extra profit like the oil companies?

Brian Elfert
Edwin Pawlowski

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:

Unless you cut your own wood, the cordwood prices tend to follow close
behind the oil prices.

Are the firewood folks really burning that much fuel to cut and haul
firewood, or is it all extra profit like the oil companies?

Brian Elfert

There is some fuel involved, but mostly "because then can". I'll have to
check out hte prices now, but last year, one supplier was getting $175 a
cord. My rule of thumb is 1 cord = 100 gallons of oil so it did not pay to
do all the labor of cutting, hauling it in, etc. Oh get near the big cities
and that $175 cord was $300 in Boston.

George

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:

Unless you cut your own wood, the cordwood prices tend to follow close
behind the oil prices.

Are the firewood folks really burning that much fuel to cut and haul
firewood, or is it all extra profit like the oil companies?

Take our situation. They can haul it sixty miles one way and get ~$65 a
cord (sells by weight, not volume) as pulp, or ten miles and hook George for
$90.

Oil companies are making more or less the same per cent profit as always per
barrel, but if the price goes up, the total dollars do as well, enabling the
press to state that their profits are "at record levels."

Brian Elfert

"George" George@least writes:

Oil companies are making more or less the same per cent profit as always per
barrel, but if the price goes up, the total dollars do as well, enabling the
press to state that their profits are "at record levels."

I've not done this, but I bet if someone calculated the percentage of
profit versus revenue that the oil companies are making a higher
percentage these days.

Any company that doesn't have higher profits year after year isn't keeping
up with the yearly growth in the economy.

Brian Elfert
Duane Bozarth

Brian Elfert wrote:

"George" George@least writes:

Oil companies are making more or less the same per cent profit as always per
barrel, but if the price goes up, the total dollars do as well, enabling the
press to state that their profits are "at record levels."

I've not done this, but I bet if someone calculated the percentage of
profit versus revenue that the oil companies are making a higher
percentage these days.

Any company that doesn't have higher profits year after year isn't keeping
up with the yearly growth in the economy.

Reading annual/quarterly earnings reports indicates that quite a few
aren't, then...